What kind of connector do I need for this setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

ironspider

Reaction score
Greetings all,

We are currently redoing our bathroom and we are installing a IKEA vessel sink and faucet. I have replaced many faucets already but they have all been the sort of "screw on" 1/2" type that I have simply been using a "Brasscraft 1/2" FIP 3/8" COMP" connector to connect the hot and cold handles to the supply shutoff valves--easy as pie no issues.

But this new IKEA faucet simply has what appears to be a 5/16 metal pipe with threads and a rubber ring at one end and nothing on the other end.

Here is a picture of the end that screws up into the faucet bottom:

1.jpg

And here is an image of the other end which has no threads or anything:

2.jpg

I guess my question is whether or not there is a connector similar to the one I've been using so far and just replace the IKEA rigid metal pipe? Something like a 5/16 male threaded on one side and a 3/8 female threaded on the other side? Something like a 5/16 MIP to 3/8 COMP?

Does such a thing exist?

Or is it not difficult to get some kind of connector that connects that 5/16 solid metal pipe to the 3/8" supply shutoff valve?

Thanks in advance!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If that tube is not 3/8" OD, then you have learned a hard lesson buying a probably Chinese made faucet at the Swedish store.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Probably metric, They also sell the adapters.
Tell you the truth...
I'd return the thing!
That stuff they sell is garbage!

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I've purchased several of those "IKEA" faucets for some flips. Here's what I've learned.

1.) They're nice looking and not a bad deal
2.) Wouldn't put one in my house
3.) Those "proprietary"(SP) supply lines are asking for trouble
4.) Those lines are never long enough to reach your stops,and since they aren't standard you can't swap out with something longer from the supply house.
5.) They usually are 3/8" comp and you can get a 3/8"-3/8" comp coupler made of brass. GOOD luck finding it in CHROME. If you do need the lines to be visable and pretty, than factor in the cost of having to special order some of those couplers online in chrome. If I recall they're like $10-13 each! Faucet ain't so cheap anymore is it!
6.) Oh yeah, did I mention they look pretty!

My opinion is if you can get those 3/8" lines down to your 3/8" comp stops without additional parts then what the heck. As soon as you need to "add" on then that install takes on a whole other world.

I did 2 Ikea faucets on a double vanity of a flip to "save" some money. That install was such a PITA. Took so much of my time I still regret it today. I look at all faucets I buy from now on and make sure it is all Standard connections before I buy it!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connector

IF they are not metric, then you can get the stainless steel "hoses" with a 3/8 compression coupling built into the faucet end, so you do not have to use the brass union.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
IF they are not metric, then you can get the stainless steel "hoses" with a 3/8 compression coupling built into the faucet end, so you do not have to use the brass union.

All hinges on whether or not it's going under a pedestal/vessel sink. Those stainless hoses aren't very perdy! I'll use them all day under a vanity but not exposed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

What are his options? Use the flexibles, or use a rough brass 3/8x3/8 compression union with a piece of 3/8 tubing. They do not make a longer proprietary flex for the faucet, or anything else that will work.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
BTW, I used a rough brass coupler, and some ahem....chrome spray paint.

The brass ones are like $2-4 each. Just tape off the tubing at both ends before you spray. I didn't want to post my "tip" for fear of getting beaten by the real plumbers!!

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Is that "delta tube" a 3/8 to 3/8" Integral Compression?

Looks pretty cool. What's it really called, I threw it into a search engine and couldn't find it.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Last edited:

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
ok, I think Seweratz has your solution. My hat goes off to you. That would have worked great for me, where were u a couple of years ago!!??

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
ok, I think Seweratz has your solution. My hat goes off to you. That would have worked great for me, where were u a couple of years ago!!??

The big box store sells these and any local plumbing supply. Back in the dy Delta used to come with the 3/8 tubes presoldered into the faucet, hence the extension tubes getting called Delta tubes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks