How do I change out a sewage elbow? (Pictures provided)

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
degrees

quote; 35 YR. MASTERPLUMBER WITH A PH.D IN WATER HEATEROLGY AND A MASTER'S DEGREE IN DRAINOLGY

I take it these are mail order degrees from Wiley Coyote's ACME University of Everything.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Maybe you can get his IP from the mods on this board and give it to the local building inspector in his area. They can call the ISP and get an order to find out where he lives and do an inspection.

Here in Illinois we have a little tidbit in the plumbing code stating homeowners and property maintenance are allowed to do minor repairs. The property managers and home owners think this gives them a free ticket to re-plumb their whole home. The state inspectors are more than happy to tell them they are wrong in that thinking. That minor plumbing repairs means changing a washer on a faucet, replacing the flapper in a water closet. "Minor Repairs": Repairs that do not require changes in the piping to or from plumbing fixtures or involve the removal, replacement, installation or reinstallation of any pipe or plumbing fixture.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Maybe you can get his IP from the mods on this board and give it to the local building inspector in his area. They can call the ISP and get an order to find out where he lives and do an inspection.

Here in Illinois we have a little tidbit in the plumbing code stating homeowners and property maintenance are allowed to do minor repairs. The property managers and home owners think this gives them a free ticket to re-plumb their whole home. The state inspectors are more than happy to tell them they are wrong in that thinking. That minor plumbing repairs means changing a washer on a faucet, replacing the flapper in a water closet. "Minor Repairs": Repairs that do not require changes in the piping to or from plumbing fixtures or involve the removal, replacement, installation or reinstallation of any pipe or plumbing fixture.

I suppose, but hey, it's Christmas, let's give the poor bugger a break. :D

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Bah Humbug.... Oh wait wrong forum. That this was for the Scrooges. Ok sounds good, since it is the eve of Christmas Eve.

I will just take it out on the the handyman tried to "fix" a one and half year old power vent water heater. He just called me wanted me to come during this snow storm to help him, He took apart the part he thought was acting up and while doing this he got a poof of smoke. I told him I will be there tomorrow. This shall be fun. He wants me to call Bradford White and tell them its a leaking tank so it would be covered under the warranty. Sadly I do not play that way. This will be fun.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
How to do plumbing ?

quote; 35 yr. Masterplumber with a ph.d in water heaterolgy and a master's degree in drainolgy

i take it these are mail order degrees from wiley coyote's acme university of everything.

I don't know how I got dragged into this,
I am a lic, Master Plumber ! Heating,Boiler, and Fire sprinkler, also Gen. Building and Electric contractor,
how many Water Heater, and Boiler company's have you been
"Factory Certified" to install and service all their products ?
How many different Mfg's and types of sewer equipment do you know how to
use including a flat tape ?

So after 35 years i think i can damn well call myself anything i want to

Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
You know I do wish he would post some pics of the repairs.

MACPLUMB 777 I started out as a sewer and drain cleaner. I recall as a kid this sewer cleaner guy, had to be at least 100 years old, heh well he seemed that way to me. But all he ever used was flat tape hand rods. He had them big and small. He was able to clear lavatory sink drains all the way to 150 foot sewer runs. My dad always said if old man Bagly can not get a sewer open with his hand rod and called you to power rod it plan on spending many hours on it. Officially I been doing plumbing for 18 years, went to many classes to be certified to service many different devices. Also went to the Spartan Tool's International Institute of Sewer and Pipe Cleaning. Ridged Tool gave me one of their drain cleaners to test out for them and give them my input on improving it. I own many different drain cleaning machines way to many to list. Even have a couple that haven't been made for many many years.

But my point is. I may have went to school, been certified , been doing this a long time, I still do not know everything, so I would never call myself a master of anything. One of the few things I do look forward to here in Illinois is the 4 hours of continued education classes. The sad part of it is you have to look long and hard for a class that is willing to teach you something. I been to a few where it was four hours of sales reps pushing their products.

Now please do not get me wrong I am not knocking you.. I guess I am just bragging a little about what I been through and enjoy doing for a living.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Works for me Jerry. I just have not found the word "waterheaterology" in the old Funk and Wagnels :D

I like to think of myself as a "Master Debator" :D

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score

I think that someone needs to get a life!:)

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
How to do plumbing ?

My post was directed at "hj" 's acme plumbing remark
i am glad you know what a flat tape is most plumbers and drain cleaners have no idea

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would post pics. But I just didn't realize that I could get in trouble. I honestly didn't mean any harm. I'm just glad that the leak got fixed. I also got laid off recently as well. So.....paying a mortgage with no income is tough. Last thing I need is a hefty fine. I already sold my car. The last thing I need is to have to sell the house and move my family into a small apartment.

Don't let these guys intimidate you. A good handyman who knows his stuff is worth his weight in gold right now. :D

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
My post was directed at "hj" 's acme plumbing remark
i am glad you know what a flat tape is most plumbers and drain cleaners have no idea

Thats very true. I have one on my truck at all times. Its 125' long with a 2" ball on the end. I mostly use it with sludge blockages. Tape a garden hose to the end push the tape down the line till the water stops backing up and work it back and forth in that spot. Home owners look at me weird when i hook up my portable RPZ system to their sillcock and certify it before I hook up my hose that I use. I just explain to them the dangers of backflow.

Don't let these guys intimidate you. A good handyman who knows his stuff is worth his weight in gold right now. :D

Fools gold? hehe.. Hey I like a good handyman as much as any other plumber. They are awsome at cleaning up the messes I make and reapiring the drywall I had to tear out.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey I like a good handyman as much as any other plumber. They are awsome at cleaning up the messes I make and reapiring the drywall I had to tear out.

A good handyman will do the plumbing repairs in a professional manner, guarantee his work, fix all the drywall, paint it, and clean up after himself... all for a fraction of the cost of a plumber.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
A good handyman will do the plumbing repairs in a professional manner, guarantee his work, fix all the drywall, paint it, and clean up after himself... all for a fraction of the cost of a plumber.

Lets see this good handyman get a legal permit for the plumbing repairs.

About guaranteed work I give two years on my plumbing and drain roddings. But I do like this one guys guarantee policy. He tells his customers he has a concrete guarantee, the moment his van leaves the concrete of their driveway his guarantee is up.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score

Of course in most states it would be illegal!
No matter though...
Here a lot of the illegal handyman plumbing makes extra jobs for us redoning his messed up attempts at plumbing.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Of course in most states it would be illegal!
No matter though...
Here a lot of the illegal handyman plumbing makes extra jobs for us redoing his messed up attempts at plumbing.

Thats a fact, I just got back from a job where a handyman installed a hose connections on a dock area for a fish distributor. All the joints where soldered and wiped clean and half of them blew apart from the water hammer that was going on in this poorly installed system. Once I find my cable for my camera I will post pics. I just cut and cap all of them but one which I total re-piped from scratch so they still have a hose to clean things up. Going back on the 26th to redo the rest. I would of done them all tonight but I do not think they wanted to keep paying me double time, plus they needed the water turned back on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks