How do i hook up drain to my lift station

Users who are viewing this thread

carlos007

Reaction score
OK I'm installing an outdoor sink in my backyard and i want the drain to go to the front of the house about 40-50 feet where i have a lift station

I need to know how to do this,
size pipe how many pipes,
does it need to be vented how do i do this,
been reading here seen something about a grinder pump do i need this for the long run
how to tie in to my lift station

for water I'm tie in to the outdoor faucet with a half inch PVC pipe, i think this will be enough pressure its about 35 feet run

thanks in advance for the support

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Is this sink for washing hands or for cleaning fish?

Are you planning to run a drain line around the outside of the house?

Do you ever have freezing weather?

size pipe how many pipes

I would probably use 2".

does it need to be vented how do i do this

Yes, and it might be best to somehow drain and vent this sink by connecting it to the existing plumbing in the house.

been reading here seen something about a grinder pump do i need this for the long run

If the drain line can be sloped at least 1/4" per foot, no pump should be necessary unless this sink and drain will be handling solids.

for water I'm tie in to the outdoor faucet with a half inch PVC pipe, i think this will be enough pressure its about 35 feet run

The pressure there should be fine, but conecting a pipe to the end of an outdoor spigot is not a good idea since outdoor spigots are not usually designed for being open all the time.

carlos007

Reaction score
Is this sink for washing hands or for cleaning fish?

washing hands

Are you planning to run a drain line around the outside of the house?
yes

Do you ever have freezing weather?
no

I would probably use 2".
why is that,I'm interested of knowing your opinion but can i use 1 and 1 half

Yes, and it might be best to somehow drain and vent this sink by connecting it to the existing plumbing in the house.
NO can do

If the drain line can be sloped at least 1/4" per foot, no pump should be necessary unless this sink and drain will be handling solids.
No can do,which pump system would i need to use

The pressure there should be fine, but connecting a pipe to the end of an outdoor spigot is not a good idea since outdoor spigots are not usually designed for being open all the time.

Thank you for the advice and help you have given to me so far.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Thank you for the advice and help you have given to me so far.

Please know I am only a DIY homeowner telling you some of what I would probably do in a situation like yours. I am not a plumber giving professional advice.

As far as I know, 1-1/2” pipe would be fine when connected to a small pump with an 1-1/4” discharge outlet. I just happen to have a personal preference for 2” drain lines.

In your situation, I might place a sump and submersible pump in the ground under the sink ... but I do not know which particular pump or “system” might be best. One challenge here, however, is about how to do that kind of installation without having an “S” trap going down to the sump, and to also get everything vented properly. An outdoor sink drain would work fine without any special venting if it dumps into a 2” horizontal line, but the sump would have to be specifically vented so the pump does not pull air through the sink trap ... and that leaves you with how and where to run and place a vent outside the house and assure no problem with odor coming back out of the sump.

Unless you will be running a large volume of water through this sink, you might check to see whether you would be permitted to simply place a small drywell-type drainage system either under or near the sink ... not much different than dumping a half-gallon gallon of water on the ground after washing one’s hands when the mowing has been completed, eh?!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I understand it, 2" is the smallest that can be burried. PVC is not supposed to be used for supply lines, CPVC can be, though - similar, but NOT the same. PVC should be fine for the drain lines, unless your local inspector wants something different.

If you can't maintain the 1/4"/foot slope, then you will need a second pump station to get it to the one in the house. Outdoors, you could probably just vent it to the atmosphere there...don't know. You'd want some height so you didn't have to smell it. This may not be reasonably possible, so an island vent scheme could be used and would likely meet local codes. I'd probably avoid an AAV outside, but it might be allowed.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
what is this going to be??

I dont know what you are trying to rig up here
sounds like some sort of bar in the back yard by the grill and pool...

Zoeller also makes a little bucket pump that would go under your sink and could pump the water somewhere if
you so chose to do....

If you are hell bent on digging around the home
and running a line to the grinder pump,. a 2 in ch line woudl probably be best, and it would be no problem
just tieing into the vent line comming off the pump...

of course you would need a trap and an AAV vent under the bar...

you could also tie into the water line just about anywehre

carlos007

Reaction score
I dont know what you are trying to rig up here
sounds like some sort of bar in the back yard by the grill and pool...

Bingo

I have an idea of a packaged unit from little giant ( i think),thanks for the help and advice that everyone gave me,i will need more help as i get to the digging thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks