How much does a wax ring compress?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
When a wax ring is unstalled under a toilet, how much is it compressed? How much is too much?

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Where does it seal?

Is the seal made on the top of the flange or is the wax compressed between the bell on the toilet and the inside of the funnel part of the flange?

theplumber

Reaction score
It's the wax side, the horn is an optional component. It's not always neccessary.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wax

Since many of us do not use the ring with a funnel, we do not have to worry about it. The wax compression ranges from zero when the space it too wide, or infinite when the flange is too high and squeezes all the wax out. Almost anything between the two extremes is adequate. But the funnel introduces another variable because it takes up space and can cause the wax above and below it to be squeezed out if the gap is just adequate for the funnel's ring.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The wax fills the void space between the top of the flange, and the bottom of the toilet discharge area. If there is 1/2" space, and the wax is 3/4 thick, then that is what is squeezed.

Plain wax has been used for decades. Today, you can get wax which has a urethane donut embedded in it, for supposedly an even more reliable seal.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I learned from an old old time plumber that hated wax, he always used plumbers putty. He used to clean off the flange set the W/C (water closet), then draw a line around it. Then he pull the W/C make a donut about an inch and half thick and set it on the flange then make a rope out of the putty about a half inch thick and trace it around the line he drew around the W/C. Then set the W/C rocking the hell out of it to ensure the putty and the bowl are well mated.

Myself I prefer the best wall hung W/C seal out there the Zurn Neo-Seal. I even use it on floor mounts.

ZUR-NEO-SEAL.jpg

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Same Question

The funnel I was talking about is the funnel in the closet flange, not on the was seal.

My question is; I only have about 1/8" gap between the top of the closet flange and the bottom of the stool. Is that enough pace for the was ring to seal properly?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
A little bit of wax is all you need. If a heavy person sets the toilet, it will squish down more than if a light person sets the toilet. The only problem with a thin wax seal is that, in the long run, it will squeeze out to nothing faster than a thicker seal. But that hopefully will take years.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
once the toilet is squished down to the floor, the state of the wax is static,regardless of the weight of the user.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
And if you really want to be certain, leave the plastic bolt covers off and after a few uses of the toilet check to see if the bolts tighten down anymore. At some point you have to call it good.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nothing lasts forever. My contention is that a 1/8" seal will not last as long as a 1/2" seal due to a combination of factors, including natural attrition of the wax. I've pulled many a toilet where the wax was completely worn or squished away.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
1/2" of wax?

For the past few months i have been reading this forum and the John Bridges forum. The main point everyone stressed was that the flange MUST set on top of the finished floor. My flange was too low so i tore it out and installed a new one, setting on top of the tile. The flange is 7/16 thick, as all of themseem to be. The top of the flange is 7/16 above the tile.

Now it seems everyone has changed their minds and i should have set the flange lower somehow. The only way to set it lower is to set it on top of the cement slab instead of the tile. Thats the only way to get a 1/2" space for the wax ring.

This isn't rocket science. All measurements should be standard according to code.

Why is it so hard to get a consistant answer on one the most basic plumbing jobs?

I appreciate everyones help and opinions but i'm about to give up and buy a port-a-potty.

Last edited:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
For the past few months i have been reading this forum and the John Bridges forum. The main point everyone stressed was that the flange MUST set on top of the finished floor. My flange was too low so i tore it out and installed a new one, setting on top of the tile. The flange is 7/16 thick, as all of themseem to be. The top of the flange is 7/16 above the tile.

Now it seems everyone has changed their minds and i should have set the flange lower somehow. The only way to set it lower is to set it on top of the cement slab instead of the tile. Thats the only way to get a 1/2" space for the wax ring.

This isn't rocket science. All measurements should be standard according to code.

Why is it so hard to get a consistant answer on one the most basic plumbing jobs?

I appreciate everyones help and opinions but i'm about to give up and buy a port-a-potty.

Problem is there is 100 manufactures of closet flanges and each have different thickness. I have always set my flanges flush with the finished floor.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score

You're making this a lot harder than it has to be. The flange sits on top of the finished floor. You put a wax ring over the flange. You set the toilet. If the floor is uneven, you can shim it a bit and caulk it.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You're making this a lot harder than it has to be. The flange sits on top of the finished floor. You put a wax ring over the flange. You set the toilet. If the floor is uneven, you can shim it a bit and caulk it.

I would agree 100% with this!
Slap that ring down and set the toilet!
This really isn't something that needs 97 posts in 6 different forums! :D

nike.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks