Why a small shock through a switch that was off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I just added a new circuit in my basement, and I am sure I did everything correctly. I ran Romex to a junction box, then wired down to a switchbox box with two switches. One of the switches is lighted when off, and I had the power on while attaching its single light a few feet away ... and I got a very slight shock between the bare ground wire and the black while stripping the end of the black wire. With the box grounded, the switch was lit up while the run to the bathroom light was still completely open, and I had assumed no power would be coming through the switch while it was off. So, what caused that bit of current that gave me a slight tingle? What I felt was so light that I first thought it was just from my arthritis or whatever while squeezing the wire strippers.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Unless the circuit is shut off, all switches have power to them whether they are on or off. The power is always there waiting to be sent to the fixture.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I just added a new circuit in my basement, and I am sure I did everything correctly. I ran Romex to a junction box, then wired down to a switchbox box with two switches. One of the switches is lighted when off, and I had the power on while attaching its single light a few feet away ... and I got a very slight shock between the bare ground wire and the black while stripping the end of the black wire. With the box grounded, the switch was lit up while the run to the bathroom light was still completely open, and I had assumed no power would be coming through the switch while it was off. So, what caused that bit of current that gave me a slight tingle? What I felt was so light that I first thought it was just from my arthritis or whatever while squeezing the wire strippers.

Current flowing through the pilot light on the switch

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org

I suspected that, but I would think "off" would actually mean "off"!

So then, there is always some current flowing through the light bulb on down the line even when the switch is off and even though the pilot circuit is already complete through the grounded switchbox?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I suspected that, but I would think "off" would actually mean "off"!

So then, there is always some current flowing through the light bulb on down the line even when the switch is off and even though the pilot circuit is already complete through the grounded switchbox?

The pilot circuit is NOT completed through the ground connection. It is never allowed to run any current to ground. The small current used for the pilot flows through the circuit load (light bulb, or your body!).

This is why switched like that will often cause flakey operation of fluorescent bulbs ( flicker, etc).

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score

Yes. The 1 mA that passes through a neon lamp is just perceptible.
I don't think most phantom voltages can deliver enough current to be sensed, unless you got the shock at the end of at least 200' of Romex.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Were you using uninsulated wire strippers?

No, but I was touching some of their exposed area.

The pilot circuit is NOT completed through the ground connection. It is never allowed to run any current to ground.

I understand, but it did first light up even before the fixture and bulb had been attached ... yet now the pilot goes out when the bulb is removed from the fixture at the end of the line. Go figure, eh?! Overall, it just surprises me that "off" does not always really mean "off"!

I don't think most phantom voltages can deliver enough current to be sensed, unless you got the shock at the end of at least 200' of Romex.

The shock (barely a tickle) was at the end of a 35' piece, and now that I see the switch's pilot goes out when there is no bulb at the end of the circuit, everything seems fine.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I disagree that this would be referred to as phantom voltage. It is real voltage. There happens to be a high resistance in series, which limits the current which can flow through your body.

This probably also reinforces the idea that a switch should not be relied on as the means to remove power from a circuit prior to work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks