How to choose a pressure regulator?

Users who are viewing this thread

redsoxfan

Reaction score
Ive trolled through the forums for a while but this is my first post. I need to install a pressure regulator in my house (with expansion tank). There is no existing regulator and the line pressure is at 80 and is causing water hammer. I am having trouble figuring out which model and size to get. I looked at the Watts website and a few others but they did not have any info on how to choose an appropriate regulator for my house and they have way to many models. It will be installed on a 3/4 in copper supply line and I would prefer a threaded connnection for easier service in the future. Any advice recommendations on a brand, model, size to get?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While higher pressure can make a water hammer more apparant, you'll still have that condition with lowered pressure. You may want to add some hammer arrestors on those things that cause the hammer (washing machines, ice makers, some toilet valves, etc. - anything that can be turned off quickly).

Themp

Reaction score
I have a Wilkins Model 70 on my house. Installed in 2006 and was 45 dollars at the time. It has a union on one side for easy replacement. Had to get it from a local plumbing supply house. Had 90 pounds of pressure from the city, I reduced this down to around 45 pounds. Some people think this is low, but my family got used to it. I swear it saves on the washer, dishwasher, toilet, etc. I did feed my outside hose bibs before the valve so I had good pressure for washing cars and such.

http://www.zurn.com/operations/wilkins/pdfs/installation/is70.pdf

Tom

theplumber

Reaction score
Wilkins model 70 is a single strainer and is cheaper than the model 600 which is a double strainer. I've honestly not been able to determine a definite benifit w/ the 600 over the 70. Honeywell/Braukmann makes a decent one that should be cheaper than the model 70.

Just remember that you are going to want to choose one you can be assured of obtaining 2 years from now. They all have different lengths and aren't interchangable w/out replumbing the piping connection to the regulator. It makes the job go from a 10 minute deal to a 2 hour or more fix if you have to switch to a different model. Wilkins sizes never change, whereas the Braukmann model has recently changed to a smaller version to save material making older homes w/ the old style having to change the piping connecting the regulator.

Also put in a pressure relief valve on the regulated side. You can put one in easy where a hosebib on the regulated side is. Just put in a T and put your hosebib back in and the P. valve on the other open spot.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Prv

If I installed a PRV on your water line, I would set it to 75 or 80 psi, so your system really does not need one. It may not stop the water hammer even if you install it. If it does, it may be more because of the expansion tank acting as an air chamber, than from reduced pressure.

Probedude

Reaction score
Wilkins model 70 is a single strainer and is cheaper than the model 600 which is a double strainer. I've honestly not been able to determine a definite benifit w/ the 600 over the 70.

I think on paper one flows more than the other but you're absolutely correct about chosing one you can replace the same with later. Mine lasts ~ 5-6 years with our hard water. The price of the rebuild kit is more than the whole WPR from a discount supply house here in town. I have mine set to 60psi to help the RO unit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks