Can a pump protector be bypassed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kathy C.

Reaction score
Hi,
We are in NH and currently on day 6 with no power. Fortunately, a friend loaned us a 5500 generator. Here is our porblem .... our 1 1/2 HP well pump is wired with a pumptrol pump protector and every time the well pump tries to start the pump protector turns it right off. We have tried turning everything off except the well and it still does not work. As a result we still have no water. Is there a way to bypass the pump protector so that our pump will run?

W.O.P Jeff

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong. But I believe the Generator is too small for a pump that size.

The starting amps would be too high.

Would be close anyways to the max

Last edited:

Thassler

Reaction score
How is your generator hooked up? You are feeding 240V to the panel right? .. not just 120v? I use a 5500w generator to run my 1hp pump with Pumptec protection with few problems (every now and then the Pumptec will trip). A 5500w gen should be good to ~20amps for a 240v load.

Not a pro ...

Kathy C.

Reaction score
more details

Here are a few more details ... we have a Briggs and Stratton generator ... it is actually 5550 wats with surge of 8550. It is wired in through our dryer circuit as gen tran panels were sold out through out NH. The well pump is 240V. Any suggestions on getting around the pump protector?

Last edited:

mengel

Reaction score
Here are a few more details ... we have a Briggs and Stratton generator ... it is actually 5550 wats with surge of 8550. It is wired in through our dryer circuit as gen tran panels were sold out through out NH. The well pump is 240V. Any suggestions on getting around the pump protector?

I HOPE you shut off your MAIN breaker, or pulled out the main meter! (even better) :eek:

Because if you didn't do either of these, feeding a generator INTO the 220 volt dryer circuit, will backfeed power out of your house, and to the main transmission lines going to your house! It energizes the entire power panel!

If a lineman comes around, to work on them, you will FRY them! If they suddenly turn power back on, and your generator is up and running, without disconnecting the meter or main breaker, you will have an explosion! If you don't listen to anything else I say, listen to this!!!!!

Your generator probably doesn't have enough starting oomph to get your pump going, that's why the pump protector is blowing. Or, you have a microwave oven, and other large power suckers going at the same time. Try turning off all other breakers, except the one going to your pump, so that's the only thing on at that time. Make sure the generator is revved up high. Did you pull out your meter yet, do that first!

They commonly lie (ok, twist the truth) on their ratings for these hardware store generator sets. It's such a 'dirty power' coming from them, that your pump doesn't like it. If it can't start your pump, then it's not truly rated high enough. If you bypass the pump protector, you are going to cause damage, and it's going to be expensive.

Get a higher quality generator with a TRUE rating of at least 6100 (6.1KW)watts continuous. I'm talking something that normally sells for around $1,000. A $300 generator is junk, and won't last long at all. You can't normally run an entire household of stuff on a 6kw generator, you need something around 13kw to do that continuously.

Thassler

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the 'Pumptrol pump protector'. Mine is a Franklin Pumptec. Maybe one of the pros will know.

Speedbump

Reaction score
With a good Honda 5kw generator, I could start and run a 2hp submersible. I couldn't start a 3hp though. It stalled the motor instantly. Like it would if you tried to feed your entire subdivision by not turning off the Main breaker when starting the generator hooked into your dryer plug.

I too would be leary of Black and Deckers claims of wattage.

If you have a Pumptrol something, it probably is a low pressure cut off switch. I know Square D has something out now that is electronic and that might be what you have, but I'm not familiar with it. If the generator will start the motor, remove the device that is tripping, but make sure you don't disconnect a pressure switch in doing so.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks