Plumbers cost to replace hosebib

Users who are viewing this thread

lisa-li

Reaction score
A plumber here who has given me a price of $300.00 to replace my hose bib which was dripping and wouldn't stop.
He gave me a 1 year warranty that is in writting on the bill.
Is this reasonable?
The plumber had a helper.
They left to get the part-s at a "plummers supply house".
They came back, and about 1/2 hour went by and they said "DONE" then billed me $300.00.
I wrote them a check for $325.00 so they had extra money for lunch.
The hose bib is upside down because of the type hose I use works better that way.
Here is the finished replacement:

Photo0026.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If it works it works. But that is a "garden valve" which is more often installed on a vertical pipe. The difference is the angle that the hose takes off at. The garden valve is a higher flow valve then a "regular" bibb, and maybe that is an issue for you.

Without more information, I would have installed a different model valve, and of course not upside down.

He should have had a regular bibb on the truck, but if you specifically wanted the garden valve, he had to go get it.

Looks like a threaded valve, so other than the trip, this was a 10 minute job. $300 may be a little high, but he did show up to do this small job, which sometimes is a problem to get someone.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That is an illegal valve to put on .
It should have had a vacuum break on it that acted as an anti-siphon device.
A "hose" bib faucet would have angled way from the house, like Jimbo mentioned, that one belongs on a vertical pipe, and a vacuum breaker needs to go on before the hose attaches.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you live in a climate where there is any danger of freezing temperatures, you should also have frost free hose bib. Even though you specified the type of faucet you wanted, any ethical plumber would have explained that what you asked for was improper and illegal and educated you on the proper hose bib to use. More over, that faucet is about a $5 item at any neighborhood hardware store and total install time would be less than 10 minutes. So even though a plumber will charge a minimum for just making the trip, it certainly isn't a $300 job. I'd say you got screwed big time!:eek:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

That faucet costs more than $5.00 but does not cosst 300 to install, nor is it the proper valve for that application. The hose is also not going to last long crimped like it is.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I do not see why a garden faucet is required to have anti-siphon unless we know its height above ground, which we do not from this post.

I have them on all of mine (as good practice) by they are not a code requirement unless the faucet is low enough to the ground to require them.

Last edited:

Joe Six Pack

Reaction score
I do not see why a garden faucet is required to have anti-siphon unless we know its height above ground, which we do not from this post.

Ian, I agree. What's all this nonsense about anti-siphon. This is America and I don't have to do any damn thing like that. It's my water and I don't need no stinking water cops telling me about anti-siphon.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I have a question for you lady, if you feel comfortable answering that is..

Did you ask about an estimate/quote at all before allowing this guy to "fix" this for you? And if you did, did you feel his price was reasonable?

What a shame, it's guys like this who give all plumbers a bad name. Time and time again I have to fix the installations of hacks and so called journeymen plumbers...and when the customer tells me what they were charged for the original installation...my jaw drops.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score

I have them on all of mine (as good practice) by they are not a code requirement unless the faucet is low enough to the ground to require them.

Around here, all outside bibbs regardless of where or how they are located, are required to have a vacuum breaker. This is enforced at new construction, remodel permits, and at time of sale of a property.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
What a shame, it's guys like this who give all plumbers a bad name. Time and time again I have to fix the installations of hacks and so called journeymen plumbers...and when the customer tells me what they were charged for the original installation...my jaw drops.

That's why I started DIY. Thank you America!

In England I would never had dreamed of doing work that should always be left to a licensed professional.

Here, you can often do a better job than the electrican/plumber/builder/landscaper sent round.

Well if you use the Yellow Pages anyway.

Can consumers really only trust word of mouth, or is there another way? I do not know anyone here you see. So I could only use Yellow Pages.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you got screwed good....

they put the faucet in upside down ...

they did not even get the right facuet for the job

I have never seen a hose bib that angled back towards the home like that one does

That should not have been over 200....

and it should have have had a vaccuum breaker on it.

I would call the BBB and angies list about that sloppy half assed install job
call the owner of the compnay and
tell him that you want a Woodford hose bib installed.......

and you even tipped them, that makes it even
more the worse....

If you are in a area that freezes,,,
that will freeze and break

you cant hardley get the hose on the facuet in the first place...

If you ever want to sell the house this will
probably have to be repaired to make it right

woodford_19.jpg

lisa-li

Reaction score
tears?

No freezing issues that are drastic, maybe high 20's and some snow 2-8 times a year. Lower santa fe NM.
That hose is on city pressure which I was told was around 80-100 psg.
I wanted a good flow so that must be why he put that one on as per Jimbo
says it has better flow so I can wash the cars and water plants.
I'm not selling the house and the hose is usually only attached when in use.
I's about 30" above the sidewalk and there is a 30' drop down a flight of stairs so if I ever got a puddle up there that high I think my butt would be on the roof with the cats if the water ever got that high.
That was the over-all bid for the job and thought they did good.
Yes I am blond.
Yes out of the budget.
Should I try to stop payment on the check so they come knocking?
Did I miss any answers?

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Ian, I agree. What's all this nonsense about anti-siphon. This is America and I don't have to do any damn thing like that. It's my water and I don't need no stinking water cops telling me about anti-siphon.

You need a vacuum breaker TO PROTECT THE PUBLIC WATER SUPPLY. There are many documented cases of a main line break that will immediately back flow water from peoples homes ... now what if you had your hose in a bucket to mix pesticides. It will all flow back into the public water supply.
I know a plumber who was fixing a hot water furnace and there was a water main break miles away ... he heard a huge sucking noise and in a short instant the entire furnace was sucked dry (no back flow preventer) ... into the potable water supply in went.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
February 1974
Poultry Farm cross-connections - virus vaccine
The following are details regarding an article which appeared in the February, 1974 issue of “Poultry Digest”
regarding cross-connections in the Poultry Industry.
The feeding of live virus vaccine into potable water to immunize poultry against disease is a popular practice, but
one that creates a serious cross-connection. Significantly, the Food and Drug Administration published a list of twenty-
two live virus vaccines used to immunize cattle, swine, and poultry; and most of these are pathogenic to man.
There are over 57,000 poultry farms in the United States. Last year a cross-connection survey was conducted at
twenty-six farms located in five counties of a southern state... resulting in the discovery of 13,000 cross-connections!
Therefore, in order to prevent the possibility of the virus flowing back into the drinking water supply, it is essential
that backflow prevention devices be installed.

Many possibilities exist for cross connection. Sprinkler systems, Boilers, Hosebibbs, even the fill valve in the toilet tank.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
legend_hosebib.jpg

Ian,
In third world countries like England, they may not have these protections for the public water supply.
Here in the US, they have plumbing codes for outdoor faucets that will be used with hoses.
That's why we can drink our water from the tap, we don't need "bottled" water. Pretty sweet huh?

This is a washerless frostfree hosebib that I like to use. It's a 1/4 turn faucet, turns smoothly, protects the public water supply, and it's frostfree.

I don't have a problem with the price that the other plumber charged.
My sister was quoted $450 each to replace hosebibs in Tacoma Washington from a plumbing outfit down there.
With any faucet replacement, there will be travel time, and shuting down and turning the water back on.
That will take some time right there.

My only knock on the job listed at the top of the thread, was the type of hosebib installed.
It is a high flow valve, granted, but it should have been legal too.
She can still thread a anti-siphon to it though.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Sorry to hurt your feelings....

Should I try to stop payment on the check so they come knocking?
Did I miss any answers?

Personally ,, I would stop the check....

New Mexico can get pretty cold, and I remember quite a few
storms that brewed down there that dumped major blizzards on Denver..

of course, they probably already have cashed it,

being a blonde does not mean you cant still be
a bit//......

I have known many blonds that could throw a pretty
mean fit when pushed..

its healthy to throw a fit on occasioin
, and you are certainly entitled to do it to them.

Terry, putting an anti-siphon valve on that up-side down hose
bib would certainly make it freze solid in the winter time.

what is that hose bib used for anyway???

I dont think I have ever seen one like that before....
and why would they go to the trouble of going to a supply house
and picking out that one in the first place???..

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Terry, putting an anti-siphon valve on that up-side down hose
bib would certainly make it freze solid in the winter time.

After I typed that, I was thinking,

Now how in the world is she going to do that.
Then I started thinking of ducks flying South, No, I mean maybe I was thinking of a short section of hose and then the breaker, but no, that's dumb too.

Hey! I didn't put that silly thing on.
I bet the plumber had a cell phone up against his ear and he was texting as he was plumbing.
Yeah, that was it.

It should be pointing down, with a breaker.
I was trying to be nice since I was feeling bad that it looked so blonde, I mean dumb.
I know plenty of really smart women that are blonde. One of my friends has her own law practice. The blonde bit causes her some grief when it comes to dealing with people, but she handles them just fine.
Kinda under the radar on them you know.
They never see it coming.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks