Instant hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
I am thinking of purchasing & installing a hot water recirculation device so I can get hot water to my faucets faster . So far I have read about the Watts , the Autocirc , the Chilipepper & the hot water Lobster . I plan on installing the device under the bathroom sink which is the furthest fixture from my water heater . The device I will install will use the cold water pipe as a return pipe . Think the watts may mount at the water heater & the others under the sink . I am leaning toward the Chilipepper because it only runs when a button is pushed to activate it . The others use a sensor that sense water temp. & would be running when not necessary . Looking for advice & suggestions on these type systems . Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use a Lange system. It does require a return line. I opted not use a system with the cold water lines acting as the return because I felt that if/when I wanted really cold water, I'd have to purge the warm water out of the cold line. I really like the instant hot water. System is about 4 years old. I have no timer, so it runs 24/7.

Donn2390

Reaction score
I have a "Redy Temp". I researched them all, and like this ine the best. Comes with a timer, but I installed a remote control, so just turn it on before I shower. it has a sensor to turn it off when proper temp is reached, so it doesn't run all the time anyway, but I like to turn it off when not in use.. mounts under the farthest sink, easy hook up, nice unit...
Chili pepper is noisy, so I was told..

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You have a lot more options for controling when a recirculation system runs than you think and the push button is not limited to just 1 manufacturer.

The reality is that you can take any system and control when it runs with anything from timers to occupancy sensors.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
:D Even controlled with one of these¿ :D
the-clapper.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have no quarrel with a timer on a recirculation system, I just weighed the luxury of hot water literally anytime day or night against the small cost of running the pump full time. It has a very small motor, and I was not able to see the increase in my power consumption. But, if you are trying to be as green as possible, then probably a timer would be best for you.:)

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
I would have to install a receptacle under the sink for the unit to plug into . I have a receptacle on the wall above the vanity so it wouldn't be much of a problem installing a switch beside the receptacle & fishing a wire down the wall to a switched receptacle under the sink . I could then turn it on or off with the switch or leave the switch on & let the timer do it's thing or let the pump run all the time , whichever mode ended up suiting me best . Does anyone know anything about the ( HOT WATER LOBSTER ) ? It is a temperature sensitive valve that installs between the hot & cold pipes under the sink . It adjusts from 77 degrees to 135 degrees if I remember correctly . Anyway , when the water temp. on the hot side of the valve drops below the set temp. the valve opens & lets the hot & cold mix . It has no motor or pump & works off the thermo-syphon principal . I have a single lever faucet & right now I have the faucet spout capped & the lever in the center on position . Guess after a while I'll find out if the water will circulate by itself . Do you think the water will thermo-syphon & circulate ? Thanks

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Most of the units we have been talking about have the same type of thermostatic valve.

Donn2390

Reaction score
I have no quarrel with a timer on a recirculation system, I just weighed the luxury of hot water literally anytime day or night against the small cost of running the pump full time. It has a very small motor, and I was not able to see the increase in my power consumption. But, if you are trying to be as green as possible, then probably a timer would be best for you.:)

You're right about it being a small motor and not using much electricity, however..... Running it all the time and the pipes act as a radiator, cooling the water, thereby making the HW heater run more often. You are using more electricity AND NG. We have a tiny remote in the top drawer. Simple to turn it on as needed. An hours worth of shower a day, and 23 hours off.
We only use it for showers. I haven't found a need for instant HW any other time...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks