How do I change out a sewage elbow? (Pictures provided)

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Working with cast iron (that's what you have) is not for a novice. It is extremely heavy and requires special cutters to cut. Once cut, if it is not supported, it can come crashing down and will crush anything or anyone below. Cast iron is joined by packing the joint with a hemp like material called oakum then molten lead is poured over that. Definitely not a DIY job even for a person with some experience. I infer from your question that you are pretty much a novice, so it would be my suggestion to hire a real plumber (not Joe the handyman) to clean this mess up. I really believe this job exceeds your abilities.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
First thing you have to do is remove all the insulation and find the leak then we will be able to tell you what needs to be done...

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I like the funnle

that is very creative....

the funnel is nice....

you dont really know what is wrong cause of all the
foam all over the place..

some total dummy put the foam up
there and I wonder if all you have to
do is re-set the toilet????

perhaps you ought to reset the toilet first and see what happens.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It would be lucky if all that was required was a toilet reset.

I suspect it is far worse perhaps involving a lead bend...

You could try resetting the toilet but don't hold your breath.
Trimming away the foam and seeing where the leak is coming from would tell you if it is coming from above where resetting the toilet would work or, not.
If it goes beyond that I would agree that you need a plumber.

Foam insulation and epoxy are not universally recognized as plumbing supplies.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
That's the type of job right there that the customer has me come out, hiding the fact that area it's leaking and the severity of the job, and then tries to press me on what it will cost.

That job right there is one I make a habit to avoid these days, because the phone is always ringing and there's easier birds on the fence to shoot at.

I make this statement because years ago I spent my humble beginnings doing reworks like these that were difficult, intense at times which involved using tools like a sawzall inappropriately to get enough access to do a partial stack replacement.

When I'd get the job done, pretty unsatisfied given the effort it took to complete the task, and how nasty it was along the way.

By the time I finish out my career, all I'll be available for is Delta 2 hdle faucet repairs and toilet flapper replacements. :D

Easier ways to make a buck.

If it's like the older homes in a nearby area of mine, could be galvanized water lines encased in the concrete cap in that bathroom.

No fixing that, it's a startover with catching the uprights and rerouting the cold for the toilet, the sink and the tub and that probably doesn't keep you in the closet.

Know what it's like to bust all that lathe/plaster out around a closet? GOOD LUCK

Damn these repressed memories are scaring me. :eek:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Awe god it's worse than I thought! runforhills.gif

Do you have a gas powered chainsaw, some log chains?

Maybe some time to watch some Red Green Shows drinking corn whiskey? :p

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Seriously you need a plumber!
It will cost a few cubic dollars...

cubicdollar.jpg

You don't live in Connecticut do you?
I got my fingers crossed that you don't!

That looks like Rugged was right!

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sewer water leak

9.700.00 is about where i would start,
new closet and waste stack floor to 2 nd. Floor new hot and cold water
pipes when you get into the wall,

basically start at the basement and work your way out the roof vents
on all waste and vents
and a total house re pipe with pex,
close up and repair all walls and ceilings

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sewer water leak

It is the law of plumbing physics
#1 you need x amount of room to work on sewer pipe,
you can only cut out so much walls,floors, and wood supports before the house falls apart ! !

So the lessor of two weevils is to cut out the water pipes to make room to replace the pipes as needed,
even if not so, as soon as you start hammering and knocking about in that area most likely the pipes would eather start leaking or break enough rust loose inside to completely clog up the water flow end result re-pipe the water and once you touch one part of that on that old of a system you might as while start at the incoming water supply and re-pipe it all

i am sorry to bear bad news but when you have that old plumbing

" probably left by the english when they captured new york "

thats what you can expect, and if i was standing there in person that is what i would tell you up front because if i don't and it started causing problems then you would blame it on me and expect me to fix it for free ! !

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From what I understand, most of the RotoRooter franchises guys first, aren't licensed plumbers, and, they work on commission, so expect the costs quoted to be quite high. They don't necessarily have a lot of experience.I would expect pressure to do things immediately before the house falls down...they will likely be very aggressive. Get another quote, and don't be intimidated.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ouch...

Sounds like a real expensive fix. I live in New York.

Obviously, I'm not understanding any of this. But why would I need to re-run the hot & cold lines? Are the existing lines bad?

I thought a "change the lead bend" and "change the drain pipes from the tub" would solve the problem?

I guess not. Can you guys with the experience tell me why doing those two things won't fix my problem?

???? Not Really!????
When you consider the cost of installing a new Main line or septic system!

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do most plumbers also work on drywalls/floors/ceilings? Just curious.
They don't mind tearing them apart, but they will not fix them. That's why you will need a good handyman when you are done to clean up after them. :D

As a temporary fix, try this product. I'm curious how well it works. It should hold you until you get some bids by local plumbers.

I think Wal-Mart sells a version of it, as well.

Attachments

• Pasco Rapid Seal.jpg
    Pasco Rapid Seal.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 777
Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
They don't mind tearing them apart, but they will not fix them. That's why you will need a good handyman when you are done to clean up after them. :D

As a temporary fix, try this product. I'm curious how well it works. It should hold you until you get some bids by local plumbers.

attachment.php

I think Wal-Mart sells a version of it, as well.

Surely you're joking?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Surely you're joking?

Which part?
Cleaning up after plumbers? or testing out that stuff on a PVC leak, while he's waiting for a plumber?

PS: It sure beats the Rube Goldberg contraption he was using with the foam and the hose, etc..

Attachments

• rube_napkin.gif
    rube_napkin.gif
    70 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Using that tape!

Handymen should clean up after plumbers.
Thats what they are good for! :cool:
Why pay a plumber big ching $$$$ to do drywall work when you can get a handy man to do it cheaper.

Cleanups, Dump runs, Cleaning gutters, Lite fix it stuff...
Thats their business!

As for the Rube Goldberg stuff that's covering the Handyman Epoxy repair.

rube-goldberg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks