Connecting Old Gal Nipple to PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

Bbillcee

Reaction score
i have an old 2" gal nipple that used to go to a 2 in trap under the sink.

should i use a no hub with sleeve to transfer to PVC then do all new trap etc in PVC

or use 2" inch to 1 1/2 reducer then use all 1 1/2 brass traps etc

which is most pro job? thanx

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know the most "pro" answer, but since no pro has responded, I'll take a shot.

Whenever I come across a galvanized stub-out, I like to screw on a FIP (female pipe threads) PVC adapter using teflon tape. In your case, you'll need the adapter to reduce from 2 in to 1.5 in. Next, I cement on a standard trap adapter to the spigot (SP) end of the adapter and now you are ready to install your 1.5 in PVC trap.

This is what a trap adapter looks like:

Attachments

• Trap adapter.jpg
    Trap adapter.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 915

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I do not advocate the use of any female plastic thread to connect to a metal male thread ever. It is almost a guaranteed leak even on a drain.

What is the condition of the thread?
If it is good you and put on a reducing coupling, then a 1 1/2" nipple then a slip joint washer and nut and put the tubular p-trap right into it.

Bbillcee

Reaction score
I do not advocate the use of any female plastic thread to connect to a metal male thread ever. It is almost a guaranteed leak even on a drain.

If it is good you and put on a reducing coupling, then a 1 1/2" nipple then a slip joint washer and nut and put the tubular p-trap right into it.

well the nipple was screwed i was able to get it out and replaced with new nipple then i put the existing heavy duty brass trap back on that reduces to 1 1/2.....still planing the rest out i will definately be using brass

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score

I have never had a leaking problem when I screw on a nice deep-threaded FIP PVC adapter using teflon tape. I have seen leaks, however, when people try to screw either a metal or a plastic slip-joint nut directly to the galvanized pipe. The metal nut will eventually rust away, and that rubber seal is guaranteed to disintegrate over time and leak.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have never had a leaking problem when I screw on a nice deep-threaded FIP PVC adapter using teflon tape. I have seen leaks, however, when people try to screw either a metal or a plastic slip-joint nut directly to the galvanized pipe. The metal nut will eventually rust away, and that rubber seal is guaranteed to disintegrate over time and leak.

A metal female with a plastic male into it is okay but not vice versa. I prefer to avoid any plastic to metal threaded connection myself.

As for the metal nuts rusting, that only happens when you use zinc plated steel nuts. I avoid those and use brass slip joint nuts.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
What about when you need to transition from galvanized to PVC? Most P-traps today are PVC, and for good reason.

Isn't the seal used with the brass slip-joint nuts the same black rubber thing that always deforms, deteriorates, and eventually, leaks?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If I am transitioning from Galv. to Schedule 40 PVC I would use a Fernco Proflex Coupling. To Tubular brass or, poly the slip joint nut and washer.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connection

We use whichever connection is best for the particular installation. You have not told us anything about the actual pipe, other than its size and that is probably a 1 1/2" pipe, rather than 2". But a No-Hub type coupling would be the very last option when all else failed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks