Pex tubing water amount??

Users who are viewing this thread

Larry4

Reaction score
Does anyone know how many feet of 1/2" pex does it take to hold 1 gallon of water?? kinda crazy question but cant fig it out..

Thanks

Lar

Seaneys

Reaction score
Well, a quick scan if sites indicates the ID is 0.475 inches...

The volume would be Vpex = Lpex * Pi * (0.457)**2 / 4...

I do not recall the number of cubic inches in a galllon off hand.

Stee

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
a=3.14*.24*.24
a=.181 sq in

1 gal= 231 cu in

231/.181 = 1276 inches or 106 ft of pipe

Made me check my math. Using an ID of 0.457 inches, 106 feet of pipe would hold about .9 gallons. Try recalculating without rounding the pipe radius or pi and you'll get something closer to 118 feet.

larrygman - out of curiosity, why to you ask?

Last edited:

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Made me check my math. Using an ID of 0.457 inches, 106 feet of pipe would hold about .9 gallons. Try recalculating without rounding the pipe radius or pi and you'll get something closer to 118 feet.

Hey Sam, the numbers are close enough for me:D I used a pipe I.D. of .475 (rounded to .48 ) which was given ... I did not actually measure it.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Everybody's a winner...

So I got to work and pulled a spec sheet for Zurn pex. The i.d. for 1/2" pex is given as .475 inches (118 feet) with a fluid capacity of 0.0092 gal/ft (108 feet).

I suppose the correct answer is that if you need something to measure a gallon of water with, don't use small diameter pex tubing:rolleyes:

I think I'll be better off when things pick up a bit and I stop spending time on such trivial matters...

Larry4

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I was asking because I am installing a pex floor system in an addition. I wanted to check the amount of water in the tubing to make sure I have plenty of capacity in the storage tank. This is my third and largest job of this kind. The others have worked out fantastic. I have installed them with a water heater where the customer doesnt have a boiler. Of course all the bells still have to go on pump, expansion tank, relay kit on and on. but in the end they are working great.

Thanks ,

Lar

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks