Replacing Flourescent Ballast

Users who are viewing this thread

Malibu Jim

Reaction score
The prevous owner had some flourescent lights hard wired in the closets of our home. These light assemblies are about 42" long and contain 2 ea F13T5 bulbs, about 20" long. They are giving out and replacing the bulbs doesn't help, so it must be the ballasts! Tried to buy the ballasts locally, to no avail, so I ordered some off the internet. The orig ballasts have a p/n E2813NP on them, Electronic Ballast, for (2)F8T5 and/or F13T5 lamps. There are blk & wh power wires exiting the case, along with 4 red & 4 blue wires for the flour. lamps. The ballast I received is a solid state electronic ballast, for T5, T8 & 2x F21T5 lamps. The sales slip accompaning them says Fulham Workhorse long case ballast, WH2-120-L, operates (2) F13 T5 lamps. But, other than the B&W power wires, there are 2 red and 1 yellow wire exiting the case. While the old ballasts have a wiring diag on the case, the new ones don't, and I'm at a loss as to how to wire them.:mad:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The new ballast should come with a wiring diagram. You may need to reconfigure the wiring to the tombstones.

Here are the instructions:
Diagrams for T5 Linear with a bulb set 2xF13

Diagram 1 for Workhorse 2 Diagram 1 for Workhorse 4 Diagram 1 for WHAM 2 Diagram 1 for Longhorse 2 Diagram 1 for Longhorse 4
wire1.gif

Last edited:

Malibu Jim

Reaction score
Thanks. The ballasts came w/o any schematic, but I should've thought :)about checking the mfg web site.
Thanks again

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Just curious if they are required on residential...

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Just curious if they are required on residential...

(G) Disconnecting Means.
(1) General. In indoor locations other than dwellings and associated accessory structures, fluorescent luminaires that utilize double-ended lamps and contain ballast(s) that can be serviced in place shall have a disconnecting means either internal or external to each luminaire. The line side terminals of the disconnecting means shall be guarded.

I don't think so

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Just curious....with respect to this disconnect plug, and the code, would all the following fall under the "residential" defintion:

apartment building ( small ones. multistory ones.)
hotel rooms
office, lobby, or public spaces in hotel
laundry room at a condo complex
a house now permitted as a 6-person assisted living facility.

Just want to have a feel about how broad the application of this code section is.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Just curious....with respect to this disconnect plug, and the code, would all the following fall under the "residential" defintion:

apartment building ( small ones. multistory ones.)
hotel rooms
office, lobby, or public spaces in hotel
laundry room at a condo complex
a house now permitted as a 6-person assisted living facility.

Just want to have a feel about how broad the application of this code section is.

In NC these would be commercial buildings and the disconnect for lights with ballast would require a disconnect

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks