Remodeling a 70s Kitchen, Tiling Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

alexjag33

Reaction score
My latest project is remodeling a hideous 70s kitchen.

The countertop is relatively new- it is a preformed countertop with a backsplash. This part will stay.

The kitchen back wall behind the countertop is a set of hideous wood panels that would be a bear to remove.

I thought of just putting tiles on the ugly panel wall to hide it. The tiles will serve no functional purpose- only appearance.

I want to use no grout- just an adhesive with zero space between the tiles.

Can this be done on a wood panel wall? And what type of adhesive should i use?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not recommended - wood isn't particularly compatible with tile...they expand and contract at different rates making the bond break or the tile.

Also, while not as likely on a vertical wall, stuff will get splashed on the backsplash, and with no grout in the joints, could leak back into the wall and you'd never get it out and clean again. Plan for at least 1/16" grout line.

The existing backsplash probably also has cooking grease from long exposure in the kitchen, also a bond breaker. It really needs to come out. If the walls are drywall, you could just cut it out and install new. The tile could be installed on drywall, or if you want, cement board. Thinset (dry powder comes in a bag) is the least expensive and best thing to hold the tile on the wall. Probably a lightly modified thinset like Versabond (available at HD). Mastic (stuff premixed in a bucket) probably could be used, but costs 4x as much and can't be used if the tile you choose are too big (it has to have some edges so it can dry...can't do that with a big tile and it will stay soft like in the bucket for months).
Check out www.johnbridge.com for help on tiling.

alexjag33

Reaction score
The existing backsplash probably also has cooking grease from long exposure in the kitchen, also a bond breaker. It really needs to come out.

Nope- there is no stove on this countertop. The stove is a separate unit on the other side of the kitchen. The countertop and its backsplash will stay.

My goal is not a major remodel- I just need to fix the kitchen up decent enough to sell the house. Doing a tiling job that will only last a year before it cracks is out of the question, though.

I think I will cut out the paneling and place 1/4 backerboard there on the kitchen wall instead. Then I will tile.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Nope- there is no stove on this countertop. The stove is a separate unit on the other side of the kitchen. The countertop and its backsplash will stay.

My goal is not a major remodel- I just need to fix the kitchen up decent enough to sell the house. Doing a tiling job that will only last a year before it cracks is out of the question, though.

... Paint?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks