Central Vac Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

BrianL

Reaction score
Maybe off forum-topics, but it does involve PVC pipe!

Has anyone plumbed a home/business for a central vacuum system? I found a few web pages with descriptions, but wondered if anyone has done it themselves. Doable? Any tips?

I am looking at DIY on new construction

Thanks!

BurleyMike

Reaction score
I thought about doing it but the boss said it costs too much and she likes her old hoover. Now that I have gutted and refinished most of the upper part of the house she wishes I had done it. It looks to be fairly simple. The planning is the hard part.

IIRC there was a company online that would make plans for you if you bought everyting from them.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have seen what my wife and daughters can do to vacuum cleaners...
I'll stick with a cheap disposable Hoover thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vacuum

It is not typically a plumber's installation, because we are too expensive, but I have done systems in my own house. You follow the rules of a good drainage system such as long turn elbows and Y-1/8 bend intersections. Two points to consider.
1. Get a long hose.
2. Make sure that the hose can reach everywhere from the outlets you install, and if it doesn't, install a new outlet. Once the system is covered up, you do not want to have to get out the Hoover because there is a 5' section you cannot reach.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Maybe off forum-topics, but it does involve PVC pipe!

Has anyone plumbed a home/business for a central vacuum system? I found a few web pages with descriptions, but wondered if anyone has done it themselves. Doable? Any tips?

I am looking at DIY on new construction

Thanks!

Hi Brian,
Yes, I've installed a couple of them.

Our first home was a summer cottage originally, but for some reason it had a Flo-Lite system at some time, for some reason. It was hysterical to watch the dust cloud billowing from the side of the house!!!!!!!

I replaced the wall unit with a Filtex, which really sucked, but made way too much noise.

In our present home I purchased a Beam System from Mid-America Vacuum in Crystal Lake, ILL, and they were great to work with.

It really just requires some forethought, but otherwise is not hard to do. Here's a web site that goes from soup to nuts:

https://www.centralvacuumstores.com/cvs/install.php

We did not do power-heads that require electricity to power a brush. There's plenty of heads that work really well on just suction alone.

Best of luck!

Howard

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Redwood....I agree with you.....

I have seen what my wife and daughters can do to vacuum cleaners...
I'll stick with a cheap disposable Hoover thanks!

my wife can tear up a brand new sweeper every 6 months...., so I fear what they could try to suck up
into one of the built in systems.....

I suppose if you install the system in with some clean outs and access ports to dislodje the ocasional "ping pong ball" "rag" "mitten" or whatever else

it might be ok........

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
my wife can tear up a brand new sweeper every 6 months...., so I fear what they could try to suck up
into one of the built in systems.....

I suppose if you install the system in with some clean outs and access ports to dislodje the ocasional "ping pong ball" "rag" "mitten" or whatever else

it might be ok........

Ping pong ball? Mitten?
That's nothing!
I have actually used my drain snake to push clear the packed hose.
The bag was full...
Then the hose was full...
Then the attactment beater bar was full...
Honey the vacuum isn't working right!:eek:

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I was asked by a friend (homebuilder) if I'd like to install a vac system for a 3000 sq ft house. He was get quotes for a total price of 1,000 - 1,200 :eek: There simply isn't enough money in it IMO.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
You don't use schedule 40 pvc pipe. It must be a thinner wall.

As a matter of fact you can use Schedule 40, for a lot of reasons, according to this site that I listed above:

"Reasons to use our exclusive Patent Pending Adaptor 2x2 Kits which enable you to use Schedule 40 (2 inch) PVC Plumbing Pipe purchased locally.

Using plumbing pipe will increase your CFM or your airflow by over 25%.
2in plumbing pipe is available almost anywhere. Vacuum pipe is limited mainly to central vacuum dealers.
Plumbing pipe is much more substantial (thicker and stronger) than vacuum pipe.
Plumbing pipe comes in lengths up to 20ft which offers greater system performance requiring less cutting and gluing.
Plumbing pipe works well under ground.
Plumbing pipe offers less chance for clogs because of the larger diameter. "

They even have special adaptors for using it shown further down the page.

https://www.centralvacuumstores.com/cvs/install.php

I did not use Sch.40 on mine, but the reasons that they give are pretty compelling.

HE

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vacuum

Air flow is a function of the motor's cfm, and if the pipe is too large the velocity will drop and since velocity is what gets stuff from the vacuum head to the container, the higher the better. Unless you have an attic, cleanouts in the pipe would be useless, and even if you did, an unglued joint wrapped with tape would be a better way to unstop the pipe. However, my wife has not been able to plug our current system in 10 years of use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks