Hidden electrical boxes in ceiling.

Users who are viewing this thread

ScottTENN

Reaction score
Again working in the basement... The previous owner had finished about a 150-200sqf section for a pool table. I removed it all because he just furred the walls and didnt allow for any outlets.

When I removed the sheetrock from the ceiling I discovered several electrical boxes. I know that from watching home shows that hidden electrical is a no-no. I have since removed the fixtures from all of the lines and one I can relocate into the unfinished furnace room. I still need that line since it powers an island outlet in the kitchen.

Can I just terminate/cap the dead end line and leave it in a box (it is still a live wire) or do I need to trace the lines down and figure out where they go and disconnect them were they tie in? And if so how do you do that????

Thanks.

Last edited:

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Can I just terminate/cap the dead end line and leave it in a box (it is still a live wire)

Sure. There are live wires running all throughout your house :D

ScottTENN

Reaction score
Yeah it's the boxes that I'm worried about. I don't want them there. I don't want to provide access to a box that is not used.

I have a tracer that I can plug in and tell what breaker a line is on, very handy. Then I would just have to guess as to what outlet/switch that the line is jumped from and remove that connection? That will be difficult if even possible. Can you leave a dead line in the wall? Find the original connection point that is accessible and clip it there? Then do I have to give access to the box or remove the wire entirely?

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The pros will verify, but I think if you can find the other end of that wire, cut it off so it can't be reconnected, you could leave that in place. What you don't want is to leave it so someone could look at it and then reconnect, potentially creating a problem later on down the road.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
That's debatable.

If it's a dead end and blanked off, it's safe.

No harm, no foul.

314.29 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, and Handhole Enclosures to Be Accessible.
Boxes, conduit bodies, and handhole enclosures shall be installed so that the wiring contained in them can be rendered accessible without removing any part of the building or, in underground circuits, without excavating sidewalks, paving, earth, or other substance that is to be used to establish the finished grade.

If the circuit was discontinued then I would agree with you but as long as the circuit is active then make it accessible

ScottTENN

Reaction score
Sounds like I will have to track this thing down and nip it.
Is there a tool for doing that? Some type of tracer? Once the wire is in the wall it can go any direction and I would hate to be punching hole in the living room to find a wire that I'm only going to disable. Can you ohmn one out? Flip the breaker, twist the dead end together then find all the outlets/switch on the circuit and start working the ohm meter for the right wire set?? If all the switches are off and since the outlets are not creating a connection (unless maybe something is plugged in on that line) the meter should read zero until I hit the corresponding black and white pair right? Logical?

Thanks a ton fella.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If the circuit was discontinued then I would agree with you but as long as the circuit is active then make it accessible

You would also be in violation. It doesn't say all LIVE wiring in them can be rendered accessible.

Either way, no harm no foul.

ScottTENN

Reaction score
I guess I'm still lost. Trace it out or leave it? Hours vs Minutes both equal no worse chance of fire than any other box in the wall.

And I need the names and addresses of all who participated in this discussion so that I can keep a record for when the fire marshal shows up. haha

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Sounds like I will have to track this thing down and nip it.
Is there a tool for doing that? Some type of tracer?

Yes, it is called a qualified, licensed, professional electrician.

If you have to ask that many questions they you should not be doing that job.

Sorry, my opinion.

electrical work is not a hobby

JWelectric

Reaction score
You would also be in violation. It doesn't say all LIVE wiring in them can be rendered accessible.

Either way, no harm no foul.
Oh but my friend if the circuit is abandoned the there is no code requirement for it to be anything.

I can install as many cables and boxes in any manner I so desire as long as they are not energized.

If it is energized then it MUST comply with the NEC

JWelectric

Reaction score
Yes, it is called a qualified, licensed, professional electrician.

If you have to ask that many questions they you should not be doing that job.

Sorry, my opinion.

electrical work is not a hobby

Me too also (note the good use of english in this statement)

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_1504 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_1504 (600 x 450).jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 633
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks