Transfer switch conduit in framing

Users who are viewing this thread

Beekerc

IT Consultant / Network Engineer
Reaction score
i'd particularly like any washington state inspectors to weigh in on this topic. we'll ignore the fact that i've had 3 different inspectors (from city of seattle and state of washington) out and I neglected to ask any of them.

here's the deal. the big gray flexible conduit/pipe holds the bundle of wires from the transfer switch (tan box on the right) that connect to the circuits in th main panel (gray box on the left) that i want serviced by the generator. Now when the transfer switch was originally installed, i had asked the installer about whether or not the gray pipe could be passed through the stud so it could be hidden by sheetrock, like so many other wires and conduits. this installer, a very customer unfriendly electrician, would only very curtly say that "that can't be done" with no further explanation - forget trying to get him to cite a code reference.

what i'd like to know is, can this interconnect between the main panel and the transfer switch be placed into the framing and covered by sheetrock? the picture should clearly show that the connection that goes into the main panel is behind the wall line and between the studs, so i can't understand why the connection that comes out of the transfer switch (and the pipe for that matter) must be exposed.

I welcome all opinions, but a city of seattle or state of washington inspector that can cite a code reference that would allow or disallow placing this gray pipe behind the sheet rock would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
BeekerC

panels1a.jpg
panels2a.jpg

PS. I passed my rough-in inspection - if i hadn't mentioned it in an earlier post, I'm remodelling my basement and doing the wiring myself. the only things that needed correction were the need for an outlet in the new hallway (i thought i was okay because there were outlets right around the corner from doors entering into the hall) and a couple of boxes that were servicing different circuits where i didn't have all the grounds tied together, across the circuits (should have figured this one out since ground is ground, but for some reason i kept the circuits really separated). so far, i've burned through about 1,100 feet of 12-2&3 and 14-2&3 wire. i feel a great sense of accomplishment on my wiring, but i gotta say, i really hate pulling 12-gauge wire.

Again thanks to all for the very useful advice an opinions.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Can't be done :)

350.42 Couplings and Connectors.
Angle connectors shall not be used for concealed raceway installations.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
In addition to NEC 350.42, there is an issue with the percentage of the stud that is removed to make this possible. What needs to be done to remedy this depends on the size of the stud and if it is a bearing wall or not.

You are now into building code issues too.

See Notching and Drilling in your building code.

Beekerc

Reaction score
350.42 Couplings and Connectors.
Angle connectors shall not be used for concealed raceway installations.

so if i it were straight into the bottom of the box, like on the main panel side, it would be okay?

Beekerc

Reaction score
In addition to NEC 350.42, there is an issue with the percentage of the stud that is removed to make this possible. What needs to be done to remedy this depends on the size of the stud and if it is a bearing wall or not.

what you're looking at is a 2x4 framing that sits in front of the existing 2x4 framing of the house. this additional 2x4 because the foundation of the house is 6" wide and rather than just furring (sp?) the studs out just enough, the builder said it would be more cost effective just to put another full 2x4 frame in front and fur out the concrete base. the only load it will bear is the sheetrock.

Beekerc

Reaction score
The transfer switch is not listed as a flush mount and must be mounted exposed.

ah, that makes sense.
can you tell me where it is you looked to determine that it's "not listed"?
just so i have a reference?
Thanks
BeekerC

Beekerc

Reaction score
wirenuts

At least they taped the wirenuts. :D[/QUOTE]

Actually the taped wirenuts is my handiwork.

i use the newfangled push-in style connectors in the outlet and j-boxes, but in the panel, i decided to go old-school. honestly couldn't tell you why.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
ah, that makes sense.
can you tell me where it is you looked to determine that it's "not listed"?
just so i have a reference?
Thanks
BeekerC

It should be in the installation instructions and can also be found in the UL Whitebook.

Looking at the panel itself one can see how the cover attaches

panels2a.jpg

The cover wraps around the enclosure instead of sitting flat against the wall as the main panel cover does.

panels1a.jpg

This is the give away that I can see and tells me that the transfer switch must be surface mounted

Beekerc

Reaction score
conduit framing

Looking at the panel itself one can see how the cover attaches
The cover wraps around the enclosure instead of sitting flat against the wall as the main panel cover does.
This is the give away that I can see and tells me that the transfer switch must be surface mounted

this makes sense.
Thanks
B

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Looking at the panel itself one can see how the cover attaches ...

However, some panels can be purchased with a flush-mount cover as an alternative. That might or might not be the case here, but it might be worth checking to see.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks