Leaking bath faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
This one's got me stumped.

This is the last of the Moen bath faucets in the house that I have occupied for over 11 years. I've had to replace all of them except this one. It's in a basement 1/2 bath and drains to a grinder pump that only serves that bathroom, pumping up to the public sewer.

The pump float was hanging up so I shook the vent pipe to cycle it, then ran cold water from the faucet for 2 hours to clean out the sump, checking on it about every 15 minutes. I could also hear the pump cycling as normal during this time. On my last check there was water on the floor so I shut off the faucet, cleaned up the water (the vanity floor was soaked). I found the leak coming from the hole in the vanity top, down the stop operator rod.

The leak stops when I turn off the faucet, and runs 2 or 3 drops per second when I turn on the hot or cold water.

Where could the leak possibly be coming from?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

The most common place is that aerator is sending water back inside that sheet metal cover plate,and then it leaks through the center hole under the faucet.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Bingo- that was it! I cleaned out the aerator, checked the gasket (which was fine) and had to tighten it in with pump pliers to get the leak to stop, but it did. Thanks!

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Unlike certain people who think they know everything, yet obviously don't, I continue to learn every day. I've learned as much from guys with dirty fingernails as from academic types. :)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ah Grasshopper just when we thought you were impossible to teach, you contradict yourself....

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Until now!

laugh-1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
re the link

And another thing to consider is that phone call routed through a satellite travels the same distance whether it is going next door or across the country, but you pay differently for the calls.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
A friend of mine used to say that since you paid a much higher price per pound of propane to fill a 20# bottle than if you paid for a 300 gallon delivery, that it proved that the gas costs the propane company essentially nothing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks