Need some help with a 'tailpiece' leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Hi all,
I actually tried to contact HJ about forwarding an email from Hansgrohe, but I think I may have figured out how to attach a file.............Hope the forum doesn't melt down now........:-]

In any case...........If the attached file can be opened, here is my problem: I have installed this just as shown on an American Standard Hexalyn vitreous porcelain sink.

It is actually not a tailpiece leak, but rather a 'flange thread leak'.

I have tightened the nut several times, ever tighter, so that the mack washer will stop the leak. Sometimes, it does not leak all day, but other times I'll catch water coming out from 'under' the nut and traveling the threads until drips down the pipe.

I used all the parts supplied and did not use any plumbers putty. Only the sealing gasket that goes under the flange. The flange certainly appears to be fitting the sink hole very cleanly.

Any tips?

Best regards,
Howard

Attachments

• pic21025.jpg
    pic21025.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 16,698
Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The leak in most cases on a pop-up assy is water leaking down the threads of the drain outlet flange between it and the mack gasket.

Coat the threads of the drain outlet flange where the mack gasket will land with teflon paste and you will not have a leak.

If the pop-up assembly is plastic throw it away and buy a brass one. This is one drain part that should be made of metal.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
HJ, Redwood,
Thank you for the tip!

The flange piece and everything else is brass. It's a really high quality item all in all, but I don't understand why they don't mention using Teflon paste.

They certainly made mention of Teflon tape for the threads on the tailpipe, in the instructions.

Will do it up later this morning.

Thanks again!

Howard

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The rubber on most mack gaskets today is too hard....it will not get all the way down into the threads , so a sealer is necessary. I rub on plumbers puttty....rub it down with my thumb so it just fills the threads....no build up. Paste is probably easier!!

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
The rubber on most mack gaskets today is too hard....it will not get all the way down into the threads , so a sealer is necessary. I rub on plumbers puttty....rub it down with my thumb so it just fills the threads....no build up. Paste is probably easier!!

Hi Jimbo,
Ya know, I was also thinking that the rubber was way too hard!

My inclination, prior to getting the paste suggestion, was to put plumber's grease, (the clear stuff) on the mack gasket where it is 'domed' so that it would insert itself more easily into the sink hole, and, therefore, perhaps, squeeze tighter around the flange threads....................

Live and learn.

Thank you.

HE

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tape

There recommendation of teflon tape was on the threads of the tailpiece, not the threads of the drain fitting. And ever there I use paste, not tape.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
There recommendation of teflon tape was on the threads of the tailpiece, not the threads of the drain fitting. And ever there I use paste, not tape.

Hi HJ,
Yes, I'm aware of their suggestion for Teflon tape on the fine threads at the end of the tailpiece, and that's what I used. It worked fine.

As per the advice you guys gave me I unloosened the nut and washer, coated the coarse threads on the flange with Teflon paste and so far so good.

Thanks again for the collective wisdom!

HE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzrxqzINGw

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks