Best way to add 2nd vanity

Users who are viewing this thread

mthurlow

Reaction score
I'm redoing the bathroom and trying to add a 2nd vanity. I've searched through these forums for most of the answers, but still have two questions.

1) Based on the picture attached, which is the preferable method to attach the 2nd vanity, top or bottom picture? two sanitary tees or a double tee with cleanout?

2) I haven't found any rules relating to a maximum horizontal run before going vertical into a waste/vent pipe. It's a 1.5" pipe dropping into a 2." Is this 6' horizontal run ok?

ps. I left the P traps and other details out for clarity, but they will be installed. If however, there are other concerns with the image, I'd appreciate being alerted to my ignorance.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sinks

Two problems.
1. No image.
2. Do not use a double tee/cross.
3. 6' is too far for a 1 1/2" arm.
Use a "back to back fixture fitting" which any knowledgable retailer will sell you AND, in most cases you should install a cleanout tee below that fitting.

abs_fixture_cross.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mthurlow

Reaction score
Attempt at posting image

This should be the image:

Attachments

• Plumbing Options.jpg
    Plumbing Options.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 227

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
6' is a problem...
It's too far.
Move the drain over and use a double fixture fitting.

mthurlow

Reaction score
What is an acceptable distance?

I will use a double fixture fitting. I finally found out exactly what those are and will get it.

If 6' horizontal run is too far, what would make it acceptable? I can make it be 2" instead of 1.5" pipe. I can add a 2nd vent line that would go vertical from the left vanity and join the main vent above the ceiling. Is there something else I should do? Is there a particular section of the IPC that would address this issue? I didn't find it at first, but I can look again.

Thanks again, Micah

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
I will use a double fixture fitting. I finally found out exactly what those are and will get it.

If 6' horizontal run is too far, what would make it acceptable? I can make it be 2" instead of 1.5" pipe. I can add a 2nd vent line that would go vertical from the left vanity and join the main vent above the ceiling. Is there something else I should do? Is there a particular section of the IPC that would address this issue? I didn't find it at first, but I can look again.

Thanks again, Micah
The issue hear is the distance between the sink trap and the vent. A larger pipe can go a longer distance, and the code states this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks