Sheetrock or Mold-Tough on bathroom ceiling and how thick?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
I'm remodeling a bathroom in our house. Current ceiling is 3/8" sheetrock and 3/8" (plasterboard?) of plaster. There is also a soffit which I am taking down so it's easiest to remove the entire ceiling rather than match old with new.

The bathroom is pretty small. I have to verify again, but if I remember correctly, rafters are 16" O.C.

My question is, should I use Mold-Tough (greenboard) or regular sheetrock on the ceiling. Is there any reason to use 1/2" or 5/8"? I'm thinking the Mold-Tough since the ceiling is always the steamiest in the room. I do have a fan.

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Greenboard needs 12" support on a ceiling. 1/2" or 5/8" drywall is fine if you paint it well with a good paint. Use of an exhaust fan is recommended in any moist environment as well.

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
Greenboard needs 12" support on a ceiling. 1/2" or 5/8" drywall is fine if you paint it well with a good paint. Use of an exhaust fan is recommended in any moist environment as well.

The tech sheet from USG for the Mold-Tough shows a 24" O.C. max for both the 1/2" and 5/8" on a ceiling.

Maybe I'm reading wrong, but see if you agree.

I couldn't upload the file as it's a bit too large. Just replace the asterisks with home depot and you'll get there.

http://www.*********.com/hdus/en_US/DTCCOM/HomePage/Know_How/Brand_Pages/Building_Supplies/USG/Docs/Mold_Tough.pdf

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Generic greenboard isn't as robust as this newer stuff appears to be. Regardless, if you use a ventilation fan and have a good coat of paint, regular drywall will work as well. A good coat of paint prevents the moisture from penetrating, and if that's the case, what's underneath doesn't matter. Mold takes three things: spores, moisture, and food. Pick the right paint and you can eliminate two of the three. The paper of the drywall could be food, but only if it gets wet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks