Where Do I Begin? Fan Motor Squealing

Users who are viewing this thread

Xroad

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I removed the fan sub assembley from the bathroom exhaust fan unit. The mator was squealing. Easier to take the sub assembly down and replace the motor than removing and replacing the whole fan unit, which is attached to the ceiling. So, where do I begin? Who sells fan motors? The fan unit is Broan. The fan sub assembly said Nautilus. The spec on the motor + fan is stamped on the metal plate of the sub assembly: 120V, 115A, 60Hz, 70cfm, 3 sones. The motor itself have UPPCO inc. stamped on the body. The motor have a 4 inch electrical cord with a AC plug that plugs into the main assembly outlet. The motor shaft have a spline end which the plastic fan is pressed into the spline shaft.

Thanks
xroad

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Broan parts are available. As mentioned, a Grainger Dayton motor is probably available. Give us the model number of the fan unit, and all the numbers on the motor. I have some cross references.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org

Attachments

• 3064904_030707i.jpg
    3064904_030707i.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 5,355

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Try WD40 first.

Don't spray it on the running motor though as it WILL flame a bit. Don't ask me how I know this.:rolleyes:

Spray a lot on, run the fan, clean off and repeat.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
I usually apply 3-1 oil first and then mix in heavier oil.

Replacing the motor with an identical unit is will just make it last as long as the first one did.

I did manage to replace the bushing on one motor with bearings, but that's not a simple task and I would not recommend anyone doing that due to the complexity and time involved.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Wd-40

As one auto mechanic says, WD-40 stands for "washes dirt formula 40", it is not really a lubricant. Dry or liquid silicone, 3 in 1 oil, or something like that may help. But usually it is difficult or impossible to get a lubricant into the bearings to stop the noise.

Xroad

Reaction score
Once the motor is squealing, doesn't it mean the bearings are toast?

Even if I get the motor apart and lube the bearings with the proper lube, wouldn't a new motor last longer than a re-lube old one?

The engineer and the cheap ass tight wad in me tells me to tear into the motor and save it. The pratical side of me say this motor is only about $15. If I know the re-lube motor will last as long as the new, then it is worth the time and effort. If it is going to last another 12 months, and I have to do this all over again in 12 months, then I don't want to do it.

Good logic?

Xroad

Reaction score
Broan parts are available. As mentioned, a Grainger Dayton motor is probably available. Give us the model number of the fan unit, and all the numbers on the motor. I have some cross references.

Don't know what the Broan/Nautilus unit model is. The sub assembly I took out had stamped into the metal mounting plate: 120V, 1.15A, 60Hz, 70cfm, 3 sones.

There are 6 numbers on the paper that wraps around the motor wire core windings .....

Model#: 85T (the number is fuzzy, possibly 05T)
T.P. : "L" (I don't know what this number means)
120V
60Hz
1.3A
99080285 (possibly 99000285, I think it's a Broan OEM part number, many of their motor number is 99080### in their assembly diagram)

Raised letters on the motor's metal shaft cap: UPPCO inc.

The drive shaft is 1-19/32" long.
The spline at the end is 18/32" long.
The shaft diameter is 7/32".
The spline diameter is 6/32".
Mounting screw distance ... did not measure. They're all the same right?

Motor looks ALMOST like the ACE Hardware one posted by leejosepho. Propeller is different. It's press fit, I can pull it off.

jimbo, if you can please help me with your cross reference ... MUCH THANKS.

Last edited:

Xroad

Reaction score
Sometime it is cheaper to buy the exact fan and remove the motor.

I thought about that. No idea what the Broan model is. It was installed at my mother's house a while ago. Can't figure out how it was mounted inside that ceiling. No visible screws from the room side. Not thrill about crawling into the attic craw space to look. Maybe I can open a few boxes at Home Depot or Lowes and see if the guts match.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
As one auto mechanic says, WD-40 stands for "washes dirt formula 40", it is not really a lubricant. Dry or liquid silicone, 3 in 1 oil, or something like that may help. But usually it is difficult or impossible to get a lubricant into the bearings to stop the noise.

WD = Water Displacement

BTW, if they priced the replacement motor correctly it should be half the price of a replacement fan. The idea is to put you on the fence as to whether to buy new or repair. "They" want to you to buy new.
In this case, though, the motor is probably most of the cost of a fan.

Last edited:

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Sometimes replacement parts are hard/time consuming to locate.

WD40, oil and move on to more important issues. As long as it is still spinning, it's still working.

Beekerc

IT Consultant / Network Engineer
Reaction score
Don't know what the Broan/Nautilus unit model is. The sub assembly I took out had stamped into the metal mounting plate: 120V, 1.15A, 60Hz, 70cfm, 3 sones.

check out http://parts.broan-nutone.com/broan/Shop?Dsp=30000&PCR=1:2000
once you find your model number, or the picture of the unit that looks just like it, you will be taken to a page that shows an exploded parts diagram of the unit and you can order the part(s) that you need. if you're not 100% sure, call 800-558-1711 and you can talk with a very knowledgeable the parts desk rep and they can help you out.

I've used this service many times. one of the main reasons i keep buying broan/nutone products.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I was just at HD.
Bathroom fan, $13.
Insides for same fan (motor+plate), $14.
Fan motor from Hosfelt.com

120 VAC Fan Motor $US 2.49 Mfg. - OH SUNG
Mfg. # - F960112-2
2-7/8" x 1-1/2" x 2-1/2"
3/4" shaft
120V, 60Hz

This impedance protected fan motor is most
commonly used in refridgerators, vent fans,
battery chargers, amplifiers etc.
35-162

Supply and demand is alive and well.

Xroad

Reaction score
Can I use a pancake fans commonly found in computer and electronic equipments? My work place throws away tons of old equipment and I can pry one of those fan off. All I need is to fab some mounting bracket onto the original plate from the fan unit. What are the typical computer fan cfm rating? Around 70 cfm I hope.

Beekerc

IT Consultant / Network Engineer
Reaction score
fan replacement

you very possibly could, however, if it were me, i'd order the replacement part directly from nutone/broan. failing that, my next option would probably be to find the same fan on **** or craigslist (with the usualy buyer beware precautions, etc.) and cannibalize it for the parts you need.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Can I use a pancake fans commonly found in computer and electronic equipments? ... Around 70 cfm I hope.

Even though that type of fan comes in various sizes, capacities and voltages, the typical fan from a computer's power supply or cabinet is not likely to have anywhere near that CFM and will likely need 12 VDC.

Xroad

Reaction score
model N671-H

Even though that type of fan comes in various sizes, capacities and voltages, the typical fan from a computer's power supply or cabinet is not likely to have anywhere near that CFM and will likely need 12 VDC.

Yes, I just looked up some of the spec on these computer fans. You're right. cfm is very low.

Found another number on the fan sub assembly, stamped on the mounting plate ... model N671-H

The motor:

120V
60Hz
1.3A
99080285 (possibly 99000285, I think it's a Broan OEM part number, many of their motor number is 99080### in their assembly diagram)

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Yes, I just looked up some of the spec on these computer fans. You're right. cfm is very low.

Found another number on the fan sub assembly, stamped on the mounting plate ... model N671-H

The motor:

120V
60Hz
1.3A
The fan above uses 1.15A for 70 cfm so this one must be slightly more than 70. The noise level probably depends on the propeller design.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks