Leaking Drain on Fibreglass Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

deuce1974

Reaction score
I have a new Fibreglass shower with the drain leaking. I think what happened is that the drain is hooked up with a rigid construction and any play in the shower pan caused the connection to break and of course is now leaking. I have cut a hole in my ceiling for the second time in a few months and wifey is getting pretty upset!! What is the best way to hook up these drains so there can be some play in the drain, would a rubber coupling work ? Please, any help would be appreciated

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There should not be any "play" in the drainage piping. If the shower or tub base is deflecting enough to break the pipe you need to firm up under the tub. We usually do this with mortar. I've heard of guys using spray foam also.

deuce1974

Reaction score
There should not be any "play" in the drainage piping. If the shower or tub base is deflecting enough to break the pipe you need to firm up under the tub. We usually do this with mortar. I've heard of guys using spray foam also.

its one of those corner shower stalls that sits on legs that are adjustable, I am not sure if it would be possible for me to do it with mortar, its quite heavy, thanks for your response,

deuce1974

Reaction score
Also I just looked at the shower drain again, the drain attached to the shower is white, so i am assuming pvc and the drain lines in the house are abs, could that have been the cause I wonder??

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Why yes, yes it could. There is NO glue that will bond PVC and ABS. In fact, it is against the code to glue abs and pvc. I would change the shower drain to abs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks