Air gap requirement for dishwasher

Users who are viewing this thread

BlackToe

Reaction score
Website
slavetothehouse.blogspot.com
I'm plumbing my new kitchen island, and I'm about to install a new Jenn-Air dishwasher. It has a built-in "high loop" on the side of the unit, and I plan to connect its drain hose to my disposer.

The inspector told me (in a voice mail) that all dishwashers require an air gap per WA state code.

Does the loop on my dishwasher meet the code requirement? If not, can I create an air gap just under the counter so I don't have to mount some ugly thing on top of my sink?

sink_dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackToe

Reaction score
Website
No, the high loop is not an air gap. You need to install one on the sink

Thanks for the replies, guys. I asked a friend who lives in a newly-built home nearby, and she said there is no air gap in her sink. She *did* know what an air gap is, so I don't think she just didn't see it. Not sure what that says, as her house obviously passed inspection. At any rate, I want to do things correctly, so I'll plan on installing one in my island.

Here's a follow-up (possibly dumb) question: I've got a stainless undermount sink, which I assume means I have to mount the air gap on the countertop. If the air gap leaks, what is the best method of making sure it leaks in to the sink? Do I just mount it close and aim it at the sink?

If you're bored and looking for something to critique, take a peek at the drain plumbing I did in the island (note: the plywood countertops are TEMPORARY until we build concrete countertops):
http://slavetothehouse.blogspot.com/2008/10/got-drain-need-water.html

Now, I'm not a plumber, so don't rail on me or anything. I'm *trying* to do everything right, but I *do* make mistakes sometimes. If you see any glaring errors in what I did, I'd appreciate a heads-up because I'll be calling for my final inspection after I run my supply lines tonight.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If your friend has a new home, they may have a "Johnson Tee" for the air gap. If that is the case, you would see a 3/4" PVC cap through the siding with a 1/4" hole drilled in it. It would be higher than the counter height.

The waste fittings for a kitchen sink are 2" up to the Santee, then it can transition to 1.5" for the trap arm.
Water supply tees are not used.
They have to be waste fittings.

The sink also uses a 2" clean out.

johnson_tee_2.jpg

Last edited:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
2 p-traps far superior than one¿ Water dripping into p-trap¿ Is the new faucet already leaking¿ I don't get it.

BlackToe

Reaction score
Website
2 p-traps far superior than one¿ Water dripping into p-trap¿ Is the new faucet already leaking¿ I don't get it.

I pretty much followed the ideas presented here: http://www.polaris.net/palmk/GDplumbing.html

In short, the two traps create less restriction than a tee, and the two 45's make for a less noisy drain. I don't claim to be any kind of expert, but this made sense to my plumbing-tarded mind.

I ran the supply lines for the sink and dishwasher tonight, and, fortunately, there were no leaks. :)

If your friend has a new home, they may have a "Johnson Tee" for the air gap. If that is the case, you would see a 3/4" PVC cap through the siding with a 1/4" hole drilled in it. It would be higher than the counter height.

This sounds a lot like what was on the exterior of our house before we tore that wall out for our addition. Out of curiosity, I'm going to have to go have a look at my friend's kitchen.

The waste fittings for a kitchen sink are 2" up to the Santee, then it can transition to 1.5" for the trap arm. Water supply tees are not used. They have to be waste fittings. The sink also uses a 2" clean out.

If I'm understanding you correctly, I need to:

1) Make all the Sch 40 stuff 2" instead of 1.5" (the vertical pipe, tee and wye)
2) Replace the slip tee with a waste fitting santee

I guess that makes sense, and shouldn't be too much work or money. That's what I get for going to Home Depot -- I'm so happy when I can find ANYTHING there closely resembling what I need that I grab it without thinking. I found out the other day that Lowes has a WAY better selection of plumbing stuff.

Thanks a lot, I totally appreciate your help. If you ever need any advice about coding or diving, I hope I can repay the favor. =)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is a question for King So Tall. Why are your question marks (?) upside down in your post? I've noticed it before, but never took time to ask?:)

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
A plumbing supply house would have a WAYYYY better selection than any big boxer.

Gary, I don't have a good explanation why! :eek:

BlackToe

Reaction score
Website
The waste fittings for a kitchen sink are 2" up to the Santee, then it can transition to 1.5" for the trap arm.

After sleeping on this, I think I misunderstood your answer. Are you saying the vertical run needs to be 2", up to and including the Santee, but I can transition to 1.5" after that? Or does the wye have to be 2", also? I think I'll probably just replace the wye with 2", anyhow, so I don't have to add a reducer, but I'd like to understand the underlying concepts so I can be a little smarter for the next project.

The sink also uses a 2" clean out.

My cleanout is directly below the floor at the end of the 2" ABS run. You can kind of see it here, on the tee:

2008-10-23.5.jpg

Do I need another cleanout somewhere else?

A plumbing supply house would have a WAYYYY better selection than any big boxer.

Can you recommend a supply house in the Renton/Tukwila area?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That cleanout although required is not all that functional...
I wouldn't use it!

I would put a cleanout below the sink just above the traps.
This way you can run water with the snake in the line.

BlackToe

Reaction score
Website

BlackToe

Reaction score
Website
I would put a cleanout below the sink just above the traps. This way you can run water with the snake in the line.

You mean *in-line* before the traps, or just somewhere higher than the traps (like maybe below the AAV)?

I'm really not too concerned about this cleanout for two reasons: 1) I'm 37, and I've never had a drain pipe clog in my homes, and 2) if I get a clog above the ABS, I can loosen the rubber sleeve and yank the PVC out in about one minute. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks