water pressure problem

Users who are viewing this thread

mattnjodie

Plumber
Reaction score
i have a fairly shallow well that is drawn with a 1 1/2hp pump/230v 1ph (do not know brand) with a 9013 square d flow control (pumptrol) and a 30psi pressure tank (well-x-trol). my problem is that for the past few days my h2o pressure has had a lag for a while after using a considerable amount of h2o (i.e. after washing dishes, running washing machine, or showering), and also when it is first used in the morning. the good thing is that it will catch back up after a bit. i know the limit switch is operating correctly and the pump operates when the switch calls for h2o, but i'm leaning towards a loss of pressure in my bladder tank. as i stated, this just started a few days ago. as far as i know, this system was set up in the 80's and i've only lived here for 3 years. i am a plumber with very little experience in service work on well systems. any and all help will be appreciated.

thanx, matt :confused:

mattnjodie

Plumber
Reaction score
NEVER MIND :D i seem to have solved my own problem. my well is VERY iron rich, so with the advice from the guy @ low*s, i bought and installed a charcoal whole house filter. it is rated @ 25 microns. i was hesitant, but he insisted, so i heeded his advice, much to my dismay. i replaced the filter with a paper type just a minute ago, and all is back to normal, bad taste and all. lol i strongly suggest that you DO NOT use a charcoal filter with an iron rich, shallow well cuz the filter lasted only 2 1/2 weeks b4 becoming saturated. thanx 4 the opportunity to try 4 help. matt :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The paper type will clog just as often...maybe more depending on the micron rating... you could place the charcoal filter after the paper filter.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
NEVER MIND :D i seem to have solved my own problem. my well is VERY iron rich, so with the advice from the guy @ low*s, i bought and installed a charcoal whole house filter. it is rated @ 25 microns. i was hesitant, but he insisted, so i heeded his advice, much to my dismay. i replaced the filter with a paper type just a minute ago, and all is back to normal, bad taste and all. lol i strongly suggest that you DO NOT use a charcoal filter with an iron rich, shallow well cuz the filter lasted only 2 1/2 weeks b4 becoming saturated. thanx 4 the opportunity to try 4 help. matt :D
You're lucky it lasted 2 weeks. Your pleated paper might not last that long.

Any type of disposable cartridge filter is a bad idea for filtering all the water going into a house. You should get a water test for pH, iron, hardness, manganese if possible and then proper water treatment equipment like a water softener or an automatic backwashed iron filter.

From your first post, a lag means the pump isn't coming on when it should. Rust in the switch nipple or the tubing and its fittings and the holes in the pump where they screw in, from the switch to a jet pump is blocked up and prevents the switch from seeing the pressure drop in real time; it lags behind the decrease in pressure. There is no limit switch on a well system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks