Drain question

Users who are viewing this thread

Salsa-guy

Reaction score
Website
www.binksglaciermeltsalsa.com
I am in the process of setting up my own commercial kitchen and I am having trouble finding out the correct way to set up my drains for my sinks. My plumber suggested that we put in a floor sink and run all 3 drains (3 compartment sink, hand sink & food prep sink) into the floor sink with a air vent. I double checked with the food & health guys and they said that would be fine, then I checked with the municipality where I will need to get my permit and he said no. He said that only the food sink needs to be directed to the floor sink and that the other 2 sinks should be hard plumbed. Now my plumber and I have been around town and every commercial kitchen we have been in is set up to drain into 1 floor sink. Is there something in the code that I can use to convince the permit guy that this is okay?

Thanks!

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Only the food prep bay of a 3 bay culinary sink "needs" an indirect waste. However it is perfectly fine to drain all three bays into an indirect receptor provided the receptor is sized to handle the simultaneous discharge of all three bays at the same time. This is probably why he's giving you the thumbs down.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
nhmaster has this spot on where I plumb too, Seattle.
If you drop everything into that floor drain, it would have to be sized for everything.

When I've done commercial kitchens, I only put the food prep into the indirect floor sink. The others were hard pipe, and I had some 3" waste in the ground to get all of the sizing.
Perhaps if you went to a 3" trap on your floor sink it would work, but doesn't it seem easier to just hard pipe the other sinks?

Jay Mpls

Master plumber
Reaction score
There is a 3" existing drain that we would be hooking into. The plumber that I am currently working with thought it would be easie and less exspensive to do it that way.

Sounds like a no brainier at this point! Call your plumber and 'gitter done'!Code here says it needs to end up with a "tell tale drain" pretty close to the 3" connection.That would be a floor drain close to the sink tie in.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks