PVC and Compressed air

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
I am thinking of running a 1 inch PVC pipe from my garage to my basement from my compressor. Will PVC w/ glue joints support the 100psi? I jave a surplus of pipe and wanted to use this up before buying anything new?

Chris

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
PVC is not recommended for compressed air applications by any manufacturer.
The pipe can explode with great force!
I have seen a hole punched in a block wall by PVC from an exploding pipe!:eek:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
With the price of copper and the hassle of using threaded steel pipe it is tempting to look at PVC isn't it. But as others have pointed out, PVC is not a safe material for compressed air. As it ages it becomes more and more brittle and therefore is subject to bursting. When it bursts, shards of plastic are shot out with great force. When I plumbed my shop's air, I used copper. Of course copper was much more affordable at that time, but if I had it to do over, I'd still use copper. I'd just modify my plan to use less material.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
I am thinking of running a 1 inch PVC pipe from my garage to my basement from my compressor. Will PVC w/ glue joints support the 100psi? I jave a surplus of pipe and wanted to use this up before buying anything new?

Chris

I've had PVC in my residential garage for compressed air going on ten years. It's ASTM D1785 Schedule 40 and in 1/2" size rated for 600psi.

Msgale

Reaction score
i have also seen the warning of no compressed air in PVC, but..

granted, if the pipe explodes there is a problem. But,i cannot understand why water is safer, at the same pressure, than air?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
But,i cannot understand why water is safer, at the same pressure, than air?

It's because you haven't read what it can do, nor have you worked with it like the rest of us.
Air is highly compressible, and therein lies the danger.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
granted, if the pipe explodes there is a problem. But,i cannot understand why water is safer, at the same pressure, than air?

Water does not compress. It may be under pressure, but it doesn't compress.
Because of that there is no stored energy.

Compressed air on the other hand is just that... Air compressed and stored under pressure... There is a huge amount of stored energy!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've had PVC in my residential garage for compressed air going on ten years. It's ASTM D1785 Schedule 40 and in 1/2" size rated for 600psi.

Read This!
They don't even want you to test it with compressed air!

PVC Schedule 40 pipe and fittings is intended for pressure applications where the operating temperature will not exceed 140 ° F.

Pipe and fittings are manufactured from virgin rigid PVC (polyvinyl chloride) vinyl compounds with a Cell Class of 12454 as identified in ASTM D 1784. PVC Schedule 40 pipe are Iron Pipe Size (IPS) conforming to ASTM D 1785.

PVC Schedule 40 fittings conform to ASTM D 2466. Pipe and fittings are manufactured as a system and are the product of one manufacturer. All pipe and fittings are manufactured in the United States. Pipe and fittings conform to National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 61 or the health effects portion of NSF Standard 14.

Installation complies with the latest installation instructions published by Charlotte Pipe and Foundry and conforms to all local plumbing, building, and fire code requirements. Solvent cement joints are made in a two-step process with primer manufactured for thermoplastic piping systems and solvent cement conforming to ASTM D 2564. The system is protected from chemical agents, fire stopping materials, thread sealant, plasticized vinyl products, or other aggressive chemical agents not compatible with PVC compounds. Systems is hydrostatically tested after installation. Testing with compressed air or gas is not recommended.
http://www.charlottepipe.com/Default.aspx?Page=PVC40&type=PVCCPVC

DO NOT USE CHARLOTTE PIPE PRODUCTS
FOR COMPRESSED AIR OR GASES

Charlotte Pipe and Foundry Company products are not
intended to be used for distribution or storage of
compressed air or gases. Use of Charlotte Pipe products
in inappropriate applications could result in product
failure, serious injury or death.

Air or Gas Testing
- Not Recommended

Air or compressed gas test are sometimes performed
instead of hydrostatic (water) test. DANGER: Charlotte
Pipe and Foundry Company does not recommend air or
gas testing, consistent with PPFA User Bulletin 4-80
and / or ASTM D 1785. Pipe and fitting materials
under air or gas pressure can explode, causing
serious injury or death.
Charlotte Pipe will not be
responsible or liable for injury or death to persons or
damage to property or for claims for labor and / or
material arising from any alleged failure of our products
during testing with air or compressed gasses. Page 4
http://www.charlottepipe.com/Documents/PL_Tech_Man/ABS_PVC_pipe_fittings-TM.pdf

Looks like you might want to repipe that compressed air system!

Last edited:

Steve_P

Reaction score
all of the "don't do it" replies are correct and this is why pressure vessels, etc, are hydro-tested. Water is essentially not compressible and therefore does not have the potential energy that a compressed gas, like air, does. I know some people use plastic but I certainly would not.

I did my shop with copper also, 175 psi is no problems on 3/4 cu tube and soldered joints.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Polyethylene obviously is a totally different material than PVC. If the polyethylene hose bursts, you just have a hole in the hose and a whole lot of lost air.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pvc

In that case copper might be cheaper.

I've had PVC in my residential garage for compressed air going on ten years. It's ASTM D1785 Schedule 40 and in 1/2" size rated for 600psi

That makes as much sense as saying that you have had a male lion living in your house for 10 years and there is no way it will attack and kill you. What happened up until today, has no bearing on what could happen 10 minutes from now. And the older PVC pipes get the more fragile they become.

Last edited by a moderator:

Msgale

Reaction score
aha, the compressed gas willexplode the pipe if it bursts,..

whereas the water will just split it w. no major force .

good point.

thank you. now i feel better.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
In that case copper might be cheaper.

quote;
I've had PVC in my residential garage for compressed air going on ten years. It's ASTM D1785 Schedule 40 and in 1/2" size rated for 600psi

That makes as much sense as saying that you have had a male lion living in your house for 10 years and there is no way it will attack and kill you. What happened up until today, has no bearing on what could happen 10 minutes from now. And the older PVC pipes get the more fragile they become.

The rating of the pipe is 600 psi. There is a safety factor on top of that; let's ignore that for now. My compressor shuts off at 80 psi, so the pipe is 7.5 times stronger than it has to be.

For your analogy to make sense the lion has to be 1/7.5 times my size, or about 21 pounds. Lot of folks have cats that size. :)

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
My compressor shuts off at 80 psi, so the pipe is 7.5 times stronger than it has to be.

The OP specifically stated an operating pressure of 100 psi.

The American National Standards Institute/American Society of Mechanical Engineers limit the operating pressure of PVC to 100 psi and prohibit the installation of such systems unless the above ground portion is encased in conduit or casing.

The Plastic Pipe Institute recommends against the use of PVC for compressed air (or other gas) in exposed piping.

ASTM says no to the use of PVC for compressed air in exposed piping.

OSHA says no to the use of PVC for compressed air in exposed piping. It's use for this purpose has resulted in serious injury.

The industry as a whole says no to the use of PVC for compressed air in exposed piping. Anyone giving advice to the contrary is just plain wrong.

Last edited:

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
The OP specifically stated an operating pressure of 100 psi.

The American National Standards Institute/American Society of Mechanical Engineers limit the operating pressure of PVC to 100 psi and prohibit the installation of such systems unless the above ground portion is encased in conduit or casing.

The Plastic Pipe Institute recommends against the use of PVC for compressed air (or other gas) in exposed piping.

ASTM says no to the use of PVC for compressed air in exposed piping.

OSHA says no to the use of PVC for compressed air in exposed piping. It's use for this purpose has resulted in serious injury.

The industry as a whole says no to the use of PVC for compressed air in exposed piping. Anyone giving advice to the contrary is just plain wrong.

600/100 = factor of safety = 6. But that ignores the factor of safety of the rating, which is probably 2, so that the actual FOS = 12. That big ol' lion in the house is now very small indeed. For a system used intermittently in a residence I see no problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks