I may have a challenge for you....

Users who are viewing this thread

elvenkayt

Reaction score
My Pa and my husband are fairly knowledgeable folks when it comes to piping and home repair, though they do not do it for a living by any means.
We have noticed a sewage/fertilizer smell in one corner of the first floor. This is most prevalent in a closet area that includes drawers. Behind the drawers is the worst part. This is no where near a bathroom.
There are no pipes underneath. The smell intensifies when the heat is on. We have torn everything up without taking out drywall to find out where this smell is coming from, but it has left us mystified. :confused:
So I bow to your knowledge. Your kung fu is much mightier than ours. :D Can you please help us. We're almost out of air freshener. :eek:
I thank you in advance for your comments and thoughts.
Kayti

elvenkayt

Reaction score
Dead mouse, perhaps.

We thought of that and I suppose it could be, but the insulation under the floor is the spray type and very well sealed. Anyway, you can't smell anything from the underside of the floor in the basement, just on the top in the first floor. I suppose it could be hiding in the wall and we just have poor smell direction. We'll have to check that out tomorrow, when there's light and we are not so tired and hurting from pressing our noses to the floor for the last hour. :)
Thank you for helping!

elvenkayt

Reaction score
Tear everything down to the bare walls in that corner of the house.

Strike my first statement.

Okay, stricken. Although a tent would be a cool and unique place to live, it would also be a very cold place to live. :p

It may have to come to tearing down walls in that corner. I loathe the idea, but if it must be done, it must be done. But I'll expect I'll have to make cookies or something just to get the menfolk moving on it.
Thanks for responding!

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Okay, stricken. Although a tent would be a cool and unique place to live, it would also be a very cold place to live. :p

It may have to come to tearing down walls in that corner. I loathe the idea, but if it must be done, it must be done. But I'll expect I'll have to make cookies or something just to get the menfolk moving on it.
Thanks for responding!

Or you could be like my neighbor and burn the whole house down, blame it on the cat.

Oh and somehow the cat got out alive, locked doors and all. Uh-huh.

Cat leaped on top the flames, which then carried the cat to the burning tree, then did a backflip double somersalt into the pool and lived to comfort its owner,

without one burned hair or whisker. :eek:

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, this is something I had to do for myself. I made sure I had a very sharp knive and I cut out a very squared chunk of the drywall near the bottom of the wall, first popping off the baseboard. Sure enough a dead mouse was laying on the floor inside the wall. Since I was careful in removing the wall, I was able to refit it back in and just had to tape it, sand it, prime it, and then paint it. All for a mouse.

Cookie

Reaction score
Yeah, but Rugged he lost all his 9 lives on that one, ;)
Glad he got out. Poor kitty.

elvenkayt

Reaction score
Updated news

Well, in the morning light we discovered a random vent coming out from under the house right at the spot where we got the smell, so it's most likely the cause of our problem. It only goes about three foot up from the ground right next to the house (and doesn't go up beyond the roof some, like most vents do), so it doesn't get enough wind to keep the smell from backing in. Problem is, we have no idea what this vent is for, since the plumbing and hot water heater vents come up on the roof. I guess Pa is gonna have to spider-proof himself and shimmy on underneath there to find out where it's coming from.

Do septic tanks have a vent and would it be placed right next to the house like that?

I appreciate everyone's posts and I got a good couple of laughs out of some.
Thanks guys!
Kayti

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Probably a house trap!

outsidecleanoutconfigurations.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks