Bell&Gossett 100 Series Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

justin_24

Reaction score
I have a home with boiler heat. My circulator pump has been making a lot of noise lately. I bought a set of motor mounts for the electric motor on the circulator. I was hoping someone could clue me in as to what kind of mess I'm getting into if I decide to do this myself. It seems pretty straight forward, and I do have some mechanical experience, but not with eletrical motors or pumps. The circulator is a Bell & Gossett 100 series, I already got the proper mounts from a B&G site. I just have to take the pump apart and replace the mounts on each end of the motor. Anyone have any tips? Or perhaps a quick walk through?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If the circulator is making a lot of noise it's probably the coupling between the motor and bearing assembly. The B&G coupling is a two piece affair with 4 little springs that connect the two pieces. They wear out and break. Changing the coupling is as easy as removing the 4 bolts that hold the motor to the bearing assembly and backing off two allen screws that attach each half (one to the motor, one to the bearing shaft. Re-assemble and oil the bearing assembly. If it's not the coupling the bearing assembly itself could need replacing and that's a bit more of a job as the pressure needs to be relieved from the boiler.

Xroad

Reaction score
Where Do I Find Parts

Over the last 20 years, the circulation pump in my mother's house was replaced 2X. Now I need the 4th one. The price had increased over the years. I can take it apart and take the guts out. Where can I find replacement parts? It had got to be cheaper than buying a new pump.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

You need a new bearing assembly, impeller, and coupler. The motor mounts will eliminate wear on the coupler because of misalignment, and the other parts will rebuild the pump. We can get the parts at many places, but none of them sell to the general public.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you need an new bearing assembly you might as well pull the whole circulator and replace it with a Taco 007 or a Grundfoss. probably cost less than the bearing assembly and will run for years with no service.

justin_24

Reaction score
Over the last 20 years, the circulation pump in my mother's house was replaced 2X. Now I need the 4th one. The price had increased over the years. I can take it apart and take the guts out. Where can I find replacement parts? It had got to be cheaper than buying a new pump.

You can get parts for B&G products here.

www.simplyplumbing.com

That's where I got the motor mounts.

This link will take you to the B&G Literature page, where you can choose from many options to find part numbers and even find drawings of pumps and other products.

http://www.bellgossett.com/BG-Literature-English.asp

justin_24

Reaction score
Does the Taco 007 have the same flow as the B&G 100 series? Is it basically a straight swap? Same electrical, same dimension for the flanges, etc... or am I going to have to have someone come in and do an install if I decide to swap it out. I'm still running the same pump that has been on the boiler since it was installed in 1957. So I'm guessing I might as well replace it.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Taco makes a huge variety of pumps. The 007 is a commonly used one in residential heating systems. If you can look up the specs for the one you have, you can find an equivalent one on Taco. As in the Taco, the series of the one you have come in numerous versions.

That series of Taco pumps are designed to remove the motor and reuse the pump body. Not sure of the relative prices - sometimes parts cost as much as a new one.

While possible, I doubt the flanges would line up. You might get lucky.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The 007 is a direct swap for a b&G100 series, even the flanges line up. Flow rates are very near to each other and should be no problem in a residential application.

justin_24

Reaction score
Awesome, that's what I like to hear. I'll be checking into a 007 then. Thanks for everyone's help.

Xroad

Reaction score
Taco Price

I found the boxes containing 2 of the previous circulation pumps. One box, my father wrote the price on it, it was $250. Seem kind of high for that pump 16 years ago. Few months ago, I saw a circulation pump, I think it was the 007, at Home Depot. I recall it was around $150. That seeems high to me also. The pump I bought 7 years ago ... don't remember it was that high. Maybe I just don't remember.

So, where is the low price place i can get them?

Update: I just looked into simplyplumbing.com Taco 007 cartridge is $55, great.
Plus shipping and tax $70.

Is the cartridge that usually fail? I took att the guts out of the pump, I have no idea what failed.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I don't pay anywhere near that for a 007 but then I'm not a homeowner and I refuse to step through the doors of Home Depot or Lowes for any reason. If they had the last 007 in a thousand mile radius I would go do something else.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pump

A heating system can use a cast iron body pump, it does not need a stainless steel or brass body. Armstrong pump parts are the same as B&G and are usually less expensive.

Xroad

Reaction score
I don't pay anywhere near that for a 007 but then I'm not a homeowner and I refuse to step through the doors of Home Depot or Lowes for any reason. If they had the last 007 in a thousand mile radius I would go do something else.

So, what is a home owner (me) to do? I suspect my local plumbing supply store would have a lot higher price.

Xroad

Reaction score
A heating system can use a cast iron body pump, it does not need a stainless steel or brass body. Armstrong pump parts are the same as B&G and are usually less expensive.

Home Depot, Lowes, or local plumbing supply store ..... it's not like they have a broad ranges of choices. I have to buy whatever they have, at whatever price they ask. Well, no body HAVE to. I'm just just "shlub" that's just trying to save a few dollar and do this on my own, on the job training as I go. At some point, the project is bigger and more pain than I can handle and to make it painless, I have to throw money (give up)at it to end it.

Where do I find them?

Xroad

Reaction score
at simplyplumbing.com

Cartridge $55
Pump without flanges $68

Not a whole lot of difference between the repair parts and a new pump.

Flanges ..... those are the mounting thingies at the two ends of the pump, right?

Last edited:

justin_24

Reaction score
http://www.pexsupply.com/product_dtl.asp?pID=1983&brand=Taco&cID=289

It's 59.99 for the whole pump. I contacted them to make sure it wasn't just the body w/o the cartridge. Total with shipping is 70. Ordered mine today.

When I need things like this I tend to use the "shopping" option on google search. It has ratings for the websites that come up and finds the lowest prices, sometimes it ends up being an auction, sometimes it's a website. Hasn't really let me down yet.

Xroad

Reaction score
http://www.pexsupply.com/product_dtl.asp?pID=1983&brand=Taco&cID=289

It's 59.99 for the whole pump. I contacted them to make sure it wasn't just the body w/o the cartridge. Total with shipping is 70. Ordered mine today.

When I need things like this I tend to use the "shopping" option on google search. It has ratings for the websites that come up and finds the lowest prices, sometimes it ends up being an auction, sometimes it's a website. Hasn't really let me down yet.

Thanks. I understand business have to make money. I am a gung-ho capitalist myself. So I excercise my full right to buy or not to buy with no bitching and moaning about someone "overcharging". Thanks God for te internet that allows cheap ass guys like me to find the lowest price. I'll leave the other guys that "can't stand the pain" to pay the higher price. I am amaze at the big difference between the low price and the high price for the same product. My father probably bought his pump 16 years ago from the local plumbing supply store without question. I am sure he would have spent a lot more if he call in someone to replace the pump.

THANKS AGAIN.

Xroad

Reaction score
Taco 007 F4 or Taco 007 F5 ?

Taco 007 F4 or Taco 007 F5 ? The two broken pumps I have are F4. The label said 1/25 HP. What is the difference?

justin_24

Reaction score
The link I posted was for the 007-F5. I don't know off the top of my head what the difference is. You'd have to do a little searching to find out. Probably different amperage, flow, and maybe different physical size as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks