CU 301 died maybe

Users who are viewing this thread

Steveleewonder

Reaction score
Hi Terry,

I read all 5 or 7 posts here about cu301...
my cu301 has no light in the front cover, so I opened it and checked out the ribbon cable's connection and it looks like ok, then I saw 1 red light and 3 green light "blinks", +24V overload, +24V, +10V, +5V, and another green light and yellow light blink on "control indicator" and "min. speed"
Of course no water supply in my house, just flashes on the LED and tik-tak sounds...I did turn-off and on breaker, but same problem...
In my case, my cu301 fault, right? this mean "DEAD"? and unrepairable?
I just used water to garden for 3 hours and then this happened....
If fixable, then can you advise for me...
Thank you so much,
oh! if not fixable, then how can I remove cu301 and just make the connection to pump and make it provide water...I don't need variable or constant, all I need is WATER..
thanks again

Steveleewonder

Reaction score
I just tested by connecting power supply diectly to pump power line, and pump works !!, but the pressure gauge runs over 100 and continues..so, I turned off main power to prevent possible 2gal water tank blow off...
how can I adjust water pressure in this situation, I just need to use water for shower for time being...
thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Just run the power through a regular 40/60 pressure switch before it goes to the pump. Then you can add a Cycle Stop Valve later to stop the pump from cycling on and off, and to provide the constant pressure you need. See diagram on how to replace a CU301 controller with a Cycle Stop Valve.

Attachments

• SQE REPAIR KIT.jpg
    SQE REPAIR KIT.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,043

Steveleewonder

Reaction score
Just run the power through a regular 40/60 pressure switch before it goes to the pump. Then you can add a Cycle Stop Valve later to stop the pump from cycling on and off, and to provide the constant pressure you need. See diagram on how to replace a CU301 controller with a Cycle Stop Valve.

regulad 40/60 P.S install exactly where
1) between pump and 2gal blue tank?
or
2) between 2gal blue tank and water softner two tank with salt box?
or
3) after water softner tank?

thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Before softener, as close to little blue tank as you can. Probably the same place as where the pressure transducer is now. Everytime I have done one of these, the little blue tank is also busted from the high pressure. If you have to replace the tank, get a little larger one, like 4.4 gallon size. Here is a before and after picture of one like that.

Attachments

• SQE cropped.JPG
    SQE cropped.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 2,501
  • PSIde-kick cropped.JPG
    PSIde-kick cropped.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,598

Steveleewonder

Reaction score
See the diagram above. The switch goes at or just after the 2 gal tank and the CSV goes before the tank.

I see that Valveman and I were typing at the same time.

I bought switch from ********* and installed it, WOW it works !!!!

Now, I have three questions more:

1) how long this could work?

2)Do I have to install CSV?

3) What's the difference between CU301 and this simple pressure switch method in terms of pump operation such as pump on and off stuffs? when I used CU301, it's called variable SQE type, what this mean? pump power on when people use water and then power off and pump off at no demand, every time pump power on-off so many times each day?? same as pressure switch method?? I mean I am worry about pump(motor)'s life time...

Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You should be worried about pump and motor life. Cycling on and off is the biggest killer of pump systems. When the CU301 controller is working as it should, it will turn on the pump when you need water, and adjust the motor RPM to produce the exact amount of water you are using. So when a shower is turned on, the pump stays on, for as long as the shower is running. The problem is that the CU301 is no more dependable than any other computerized system. Your saving grace is that this type pump will still work as a normal type pump, even without the CU301 controller. Most other variable speed pumps will not do this. If you had any other brand, you would be replacing the controller on a regular basis, or you would have to replace the entire system, including the pump.

Without the CU301 controller, and working with a pressure switch and small tank, the pump could cycle on and off 50 times or more while you take a shower. You really have two options.

(1)You can install a large pressure tank. This will decrease the number of cycles but, does not eliminate the cycling. A large enough tank will still probably cycle the pump 3 or 4 times during a shower, which can still add up to hundreds or thousands of cycles per month.

(2) You can install a Cycle Stop Valve. This will work with a small tank. The CSV controls the flow from the pump to exactly match the usage, without varying the speed of the motor. This will eliminate cycling, and the pump will run as long as the shower or sprinklers are on.

You can verify what I am saying by turning on a shower, and watching the pressure gauge. You will see that the pump cycles on and off every few seconds the way you have it now. This will get you by for a day or two but, will soon destroy the pump. Not to mention the huge and continuing variations in pressure that can be very annoying. This variation in pressure will only be slowed down if you install a big pressure tank. The pressure will remain constant while the shower or sprinklers are running, when controlled by a Cycle Stop Valve.

Steveleewonder

Reaction score
You should be worried about pump and motor life. Cycling on and off is the biggest killer of pump systems. When the CU301 controller is working as it should, it will turn on the pump when you need water, and adjust the motor RPM to produce the exact amount of water you are using. So when a shower is turned on, the pump stays on, for as long as the shower is running. The problem is that the CU301 is no more dependable than any other computerized system. Your saving grace is that this type pump will still work as a normal type pump, even without the CU301 controller. Most other variable speed pumps will not do this. If you had any other brand, you would be replacing the controller on a regular basis, or you would have to replace the entire system, including the pump.

Without the CU301 controller, and working with a pressure switch and small tank, the pump could cycle on and off 50 times or more while you take a shower. You really have two options.

(1)You can install a large pressure tank. This will decrease the number of cycles but, does not eliminate the cycling. A large enough tank will still probably cycle the pump 3 or 4 times during a shower, which can still add up to hundreds or thousands of cycles per month.

(2) You can install a Cycle Stop Valve. This will work with a small tank. The CSV controls the flow from the pump to exactly match the usage, without varying the speed of the motor. This will eliminate cycling, and the pump will run as long as the shower or sprinklers are on.

You can verify what I am saying by turning on a shower, and watching the pressure gauge. You will see that the pump cycles on and off every few seconds the way you have it now. This will get you by for a day or two but, will soon destroy the pump. Not to mention the huge and continuing variations in pressure that can be very annoying. This variation in pressure will only be slowed down if you install a big pressure tank. The pressure will remain constant while the shower or sprinklers are running, when controlled by a Cycle Stop Valve.

Yes, I should need CSV, so I will order it !!!

Last edited:

Steveleewonder

Reaction score

I have "check value" very close to the blue pressure tank, so my question is can I install CSV between this check value and pump?
or I must install CSV after check value and before blue tank?

or maybe this existing check value doesn't needed, so replace it with CSV?
Thanks..

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The CSV needs to go before the pressure tank and pressure switch. There must be a check valve on the discharge of the pump. You don't need another check valve anywhere else. You can probably put the CSV in place of the check valve, as long as it is before the tank and switch.

Steveleewonder

Reaction score
The CSV needs to go before the pressure tank and pressure switch. There must be a check valve on the discharge of the pump. You don't need another check valve anywhere else. You can probably put the CSV in place of the check valve, as long as it is before the tank and switch.

I installed CSV , works good !!!
BTW,
in my case, I don't need water storage tank, right?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
As long as your well will produce enough water, you don't need a storage tank and extra pump. You do need a pressure tank. With the CSV, the pressure tank just doesn't have to be very big.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks