I want to install an under-the-sink water filter --- in my basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Pickngrin

Reaction score
For the past 6 months, I've been using a Whirlpool under the sink water filter, with good results. However, today was time to change the cartridge, and getting in the sink cabinet and loosening the unit was torturous. I'd like to install the unit in the basement, directly below the sink, where it will be easier to change the filters. My question is, what is the most sensible way to do this? It would seem convoluted to run the vinyl tubing down to the basement from the sink cabinet, then back up. What would be the best way for me to tap into the cold water line before it reaches the sink valve? I saw plastic quick disconnects at Lowes today. Is it safe to make a cut in the copper pipe, use quick disconnects to attach a length of vinyl tubing, then to the filter unit, then back to another quick disconnect on the outlet side of the copper pipe?

Thanks

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water filter install kit

LOOK THIS UP THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT TO USE,
OR E-MAIL ME

Advanced Search

Residential
Quick Connect Water Line Installation Kit
Everything you need for trouble-free water line installation - all in one kit
No soldering...No piercing...and can be installed in minutes!
The Dormont Quick Connect Water Line Installation Kit is a unique in-line water installation kit that can be used for a wide range of applications including ice makers, refrigerators, humidifiers, under cabinet water filters and evaporative coolers.

The Quick-Connect Water Line Installation Kit features:
1/2" x 1/2" push-to-connect valve elimates soldering
Integral shut off valve allows removal of appliance without leaks
25' PEX supply line resists kinking and bursting
1/4" quick-connect union for appliance connection
1/4" compression fitting and ferrule also included
Tested and certified by NSF/ANSI 61, section 9

See spec sheet for complete product information.

Quick Connect Water Line Installation Kit Instruction Guide

Careers / Investors / Site Terms of Use

Copyright © 2005-2008 Dormont Manufacturing Company.

A Division of Watts Water Technologies, Inc. All Rights Reserved

HomeAbout UsGuiding PrinciplesQualityCareersMapContact Us>NewsInvoice T&CSupplier T&CArchivesResidentialResidential HomeGas ConnectorsOther ConnectorsGas Ball ValvesAccessoriesPackaged ProductsResource CenterWater Line Installation KitTankless Service ValvesConnection KitsFoodserviceFoodservice HomeSafety Through MobilityGas ProductsWater ProductsPowerForceNew ProductsResource CenterOEM/Design SolutionsOEM/Design Solutions HomeFlex Tube BenefitsFlared ProductsCompression ProductsMetric Flex TubePart NumberingResource CenterCustomer ServiceCustomer Service HomeBecome a DistributorLogin

Rayh78

Reaction score
Low*s has the whole has water filters for about $50.00. Filters about $16.00 for pack of 2.
I use these to the whole house. Why just the kitchen sink?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pickngrin

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Re: Quick Connect Water Line Installation Kit -- I wonder if I can buy that locally in-store.

Re: whole house filter -- I bought this unit about 6 months ago and would prefer not to buy a whole new unit. The reason I didn't go for the whole house filter at the time was that I didn't feel a need to filter water for showers, washing machine, etc, and my thinking was that I would be using up filters more rapidly for non-consumable uses.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
Would it be reasonable for me to install a whole house filter but only on the cold water line running to my kitchen sink (as opposed to on the water main)?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First off, what kind of filter are you using?

A lot of the water you use may not need to be filtered, so why waste the capacity of the assembly? I installed a filter only faucet at my sink. Depends on what you have not how easy that would be.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
First off, what kind of filter are you using?

A lot of the water you use may not need to be filtered, so why waste the capacity of the assembly? I installed a filter only faucet at my sink. Depends on what you have not how easy that would be.

I previously had a Whirlpool under-the-sink carbon filter, but it is just too cumbersome and messy to change it under the sink. I am not finding a feasible way to mount that same filter directly below in the basement so am wondering about the whole house type unit. My kitchen faucet won't accomodate one of those screw-on-faucet canister filters. Basically, I'm looking to eliminate the chlorine taste and smell from my kitchen tap.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
First, you should not be using vinyl tubing, use PE, vinyl will kink closed.

Buy enough tubing to allow removal of the unit from under the sink out on the floor in front of the sink where you can put the housing in a bucket. IOWs, simply don't hang the unit on the cabinet wall, it will stand up on its own, just don't knock it over, and then pull it out from the cabinet into a bucket when you want to change the cartridge.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
First, you should not be using vinyl tubing, use PE, vinyl will kink closed.

Buy enough tubing to allow removal of the unit from under the sink out on the floor in front of the sink where you can put the housing in a bucket. IOWs, simply don't hang the unit on the cabinet wall, it will stand up on its own, just don't knock it over, and then pull it out from the cabinet into a bucket when you want to change the cartridge.

Thanks for the idea! Actually, it wasn't vinyl tubing but I didn't know what this stuff was called. I'm going to follow your suggestion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks