What would magnetize a receptacle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Taylor

Reaction score
Removed a box from a circuit yesterday. Today, the circuit breaker blows every time the microwave (on the circuit) is turned on. Has worked fine beforehand. In switching the microwave over to another circuit, noticed that the receptacle for the microwave appears to be magnetized. Is this a clue to what is going on? Are hot and neutral switched somewhere? All i did yesterday is remove wires.

BTW not a single box in this house is grounded.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Removed a box from a circuit yesterday. Today, the circuit breaker blows every time the microwave (on the circuit) is turned on. Has worked fine beforehand. In switching the microwave over to another circuit, noticed that the receptacle for the microwave appears to be magnetized. Is this a clue to what is going on? Are hot and neutral switched somewhere? All i did yesterday is remove wires.

Not really sure what you did, but if it worked all the time until you touched something, I think I know what the problem is.

Taylor

Reaction score
Not really sure what you did, but if it worked all the time until you touched something, I think I know what the problem is.

:confused:

I removed a box and the corresponding wires in a junction box that had both the removed box and the microwave receptacle downstream (separate streams).

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score

I grew up in an old house like this. I'm guessing that you have plaster walls with metal lathe as well. I'm also guessing that you have a hot wire connecting to the wall somewhere. Electrical flow through iron (the steel lathe) will make a magnet.

You need to call an electrician and find out where the leak is.

Taylor

Reaction score
Plaster walls but.....

....wood lathe.

Sounds like people do not see a connection with the (observed) magnetization of the receptacle and the microwave blowing the circuits. Just realized that the gas dryer was running downstairs on the same circuit as the microwave, maybe that was the source of the circuit breaker tripping. Even gas-fired, it needs juice to turn the drum.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
....wood lathe.

Sounds like people do not see a connection with the (observed) magnetization of the receptacle and the microwave blowing the circuits. Just realized that the gas dryer was running downstairs on the same circuit as the microwave, maybe that was the source of the circuit breaker tripping. Even gas-fired, it needs juice to turn the drum.

Old homes tend to have a mixed bag of circuits. There could be a lot going on. The magnetic effect still points to a current leak somewhere. Old plaster is reinforced with all kinds of materials (my sister discovered horse hair in hers), and a lot of things can carry electricity. You should shut off all your appliances and lights, and see if the area is still magnetic. Also look at your meter and see if its still moving. If it is, then turn off all breakers until it stops moving, and find out which one is using electricity without anything turned on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks