Website
www.KoldBreeze.com

here is a cute article to read about what might
come through your door to do your work

http://www.planetfeedback.com/home+depot+inc/other/hot+water+heater+woes/245026

My response to that foolishness:

First of all,

There's no such thing as a "Hot Water Heater"

It's called a WATER HEATER, not a HOT Water Heater.

One more time, It's a Water Heater.

Secondly,

Certified isn't what plumbers are; they are LICENSED. Licensed Plumbing Contractors.

Thirdly, when you have a contractor come to your home, if there is a language barrier, you have the right of refusal in your court because another company like Home Depot cannot force you to learn another language because they hire those who don't speak your same language.

I've seen this too many times where the consumer wants rock bottom pricing and they go by the droves to the big box stores because BOTTOM PRICE gets the signature on the reciept.

It's hard for me to believe that people live in neighborhoods for years without having established a relationship with a reputable plumber and not think of calling a local tradesman, but instead a large corporate affiliation because the bells and whistles of economizing strikes the pose to do so.

This in turns brings a numbing effect to your complaint, knowing the risks you took when you searched for Rock Bottom in your quest to save money, rather than hiring a competent plumber in your area.

At some point you have to register with logical thinking that there is a reason why hiring a professional costs more than the local big box store. You're testament above should be more than a hint.

I truly don't feel sorry for some people when these situations play out.

And when they do? I try to intervene asking for names and numbers, the customer has a change of heart and says, "I don't know, I'll have to check and I don't know what their name is."

Suuuuuuuuuure.

Ddagsyn

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the line he installed. The line is surgical rubber tubing inside a woven stainless steel sheath. Neither of them are damaged by squeezing them. If you insist on him using your new line fine, but do not expect him to pay you for it. I wouldn't.

No, I don't expect him to pay for anything. Infact i have already purchased a new line for him to install. Like i said earlier i think he did a sloppy job and i am not going to accept it.

Ddagsyn

Reaction score
When I replaced my dishwasher, I went with a local appliance shop that charged the most for the installation. I have a very tight space and found out that HD just trained their delivery people to do the installation, and that the Lowe's installers were not always insured contractors. The contractor guy replaced the copper water line with a braided steel line (which I paid for) and kept the copper. I didn't say anything since he did a good job. He earned the few $$s for the copper....

Yes mine did the same he replaced the copper line with a braided steel parked below my dishwasher. Yeah and he kept the copper too. I wanted to ask him for it but let it go.

Ddagsyn

Reaction score
Somone should send the state plumbing inspector out to Lowe's to have a little chin wag about unlicensed plumbers installing appliances. There's a lot of things that can be done very wrong that may impact the rest of the plumbing system. Perhaps the electrical inspector should go with him because I'm sure they hooked that up also.

Well this guy said he taken a course in appliance installation. He did not have a plumbing or electrical license although he told me his boss had a license. Don't know how it works but maybe that qualifies him...Just guessing.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
He did not have a plumbing or electrical license although he told me his boss had a license. Don't know how it works but maybe that qualifies him...Just guessing.
At best, that could qualify him as an apprentice.

The big box stores do not pay the going rate for qualified personel to do any type of work. If you see any licensed tradesmen working for the BigBox stores, it would be out of desperation for lack of work.

For all the plumbers out there, Imagine doing this DW install for $70-$80, materials included.:eek:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
At best, that could qualify him as an apprentice.

The big box stores do not pay the going rate for qualified personel to do any type of work. If you see any licensed tradesmen working for the BigBox stores, it would be out of desperation for lack of work.

For all the plumbers out there, Imagine doing this DW install for $70-$80, materials included.:eek:

When the phone don't ring, you'll know it's me

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
At least the guy doing the DW installation used the proper materials. I had a customer one time complaining to me that the kitchen floor was pushing up. I decided to look under the dishwasher to make sure it wasn't leaking.

I was shocked what I found. While I didn't see a leak, the Sears installer used what appeared to be fuel line hose and hose clamps to make the hook-up. The hose in one area had expanded to three times its diameter.

I informed the homeowner that disaster was eminent, told him to get the installer back ASAP, and got out of there mucho fast.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com

They do about 8 to 10 a day, usually a two man or husband/wife, bf/gf scenario.

Drive a ton of fuel out of their vehicle and are always collecting the old ones.

I couldn't do it....I cringe when I'm sucked into replacing a dishwasher. :mad:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
They do about 8 to 10 a day, usually a two man or husband/wife, bf/gf scenario.
Whats your point? Thats not realistic

Even if they did 8-10 a day, it makes for 12-14 hour day. Lets assume it will take at least 1 hour per install (assuming its only a re&re)Plus traveling time

In my experience there is alot of lost time that you cannot charge for. You will also find that 80% of installs also will have installations that were botched from the previous unit, and you are elected to fix it as part of the installation (or hidden costs to the customer, which is a great start for a complaint)

So, $80 x 10 calls/installs = $800
average material costs re&re only $30/unit= $300
Leaving $250 per person after a 14 hour day, which translates to $17.86/hour per person
No self respecting plumber will get out of bed for that kind of spare change

In my neck of the woods ,(if I were to reach 10 installs /day), it would cost between $1500-$2000 in total, including material and repairing previously botched installs.(assuming I can do this in a 10 hour day maximum. I could never do this because of the lost time involved)

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Whats your point? Thats not realistic

)

My point?

It's that it does happen, realistically.

I've worked around these guys off and on for years and they bust their asses off to make any kind of money.

Most do it without the guide of a master's license to pull permits and the only way they make money is to group calls in areas, do it lightning fast.

I charge $200 for dishwasher replacements and stops 99% of customers committing to use me. That's good.

Too many variables on those when the floor locks them into place, bringing it up to code because the ****tard didn't install an Air Gap.

I nailed a contractor to the cross last year from Lowe's for doing just that; bypassing the Air Gap and feeding the head of the property owners that a soap dispensor is more important.

$393 later and I made sure they was aware that if I catch them installing another one against code, the inspectors will be following you everywhere I follow them, every day when they pick up their product. :D

Last thing we need is an out of towner plumber who tests out for the masters to pull permits, only to ignore the local codes because "it takes longer."

Not with me breathing the same air...

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I charge $200 for dishwasher replacements and stops 99% of customers committing to use me. That's good.

Too many variables on those when the floor locks them into place, bringing it up to code because the ****tard didn't install an Air Gap.
As I said, no self respecting plumber will get out bed for that kind of spare change ($18). You are right, too many variables . You don't know what you are going to find once you get there. (don't you just love when they raise the kitchen floor 1 1/2" around the DW and you have to get it out?:eek:)

Its the BigBox stores that are polluting the trades.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Wont touch a dishwasher either.....

As I said, no self respecting plumber will get out bed for that kind of spare change ($18). You are right, too many variables . You don't know what you are going to find once you get there. (don't you just love when they raise the kitchen floor 1 1/2" around the DW and you have to get it out?:eek:)

Its the BigBox stores that are polluting the trades.

I totally agree --the big box stores are competeing with the plumbers , but are not actually playing fair either...

working under a master lisc isnt the same as being one
or being a journeyman plumber either...

So these fellows work for peanuts and dont even
know what they are walking into till they show up on the job.....

I have gone out to find the dishwasher imbedded into the floor with an
inch of new parkay wood nailed down right up to the front of the 30 year old original unit...

it takes a chain saw to literally cut the unit out of the floor
and they have to do it for 80 bucks.....and not ruin the kitchen floor either....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to work for lowes back in 01 for a few months
and I thought I had seen everything.....

people buy a toilet and expect it installed in their home
you show up and find the old one has sunk down about
3 inches into the rotten sub floor...

you just shake your head and leave

and they call the store and complain that you
would not do the work for the price that was quoted to them........

wow....what a deal......

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
In New Hampshire, to work under a Master or Journeyman the licensed plumber has to be on the site. A local plumber got bagged last week because he went for the coffee and left his apprentice working on the site when the state inspector showed up. Only got a warning but now he knows the rule.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
I oly use copper tubing on dishwashers. It is not a good idea to use flexible tubing in enclosed spaces where you cannot readily inspect it.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What would be the down side of a braided stainless DW supply line???

In my own personal experience I have seen more soft copper leaking at the DW connection than I have braided stainless, my guess is due to vibration. It only takes a min. to remove the kick plate and inspect, thats how I find the leaks.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Einsteins theory of box store appliance installation:

Cheap = Angry customer squared

The proportion of anger is directly relative to the size of price.

Here, we see an appliance installed almost free of charge, and one VERY angry customer.

Ddagsyn

Reaction score
Update on the installation

He came back to redo the installation i.e remove the supply line and electrical from under the dishwasher. I was not home at that time. He told my wife that replacing the supply tube would be considered a new install. My wife told him that he needed to talk to me and called me on my cell. After waiting for him to come on to discuss; instead my wife came back on and told me he agreed to replace the supply line. Only thing he refused to let us keep the supply line removed although we paid for it and also paid for the new one he installed.
Debating whether to take that up with lowes but leaning towards letting it go.

He later called me and apologized for talking badly to my wife.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I'd done be at the house making mince meat out of this fool

He came back to redo the installation i.e remove the supply line and electrical from under the dishwasher. I was not home at that time. He told my wife that replacing the supply tube would be considered a new install. My wife told him that he needed to talk to me and called me on my cell. After waiting for him to come on to discuss; instead my wife came back on and told me he agreed to replace the supply line. Only thing he refused to let us keep the supply line removed although we paid for it and also paid for the new one he installed.
Debating whether to take that up with lowes but leaning towards letting it go.

Nail that son of a bitch to the wall. I'd be all over this like white on rice if my wife was verbally abused by a stranger.

Why are you holding back? People normally don't learn from their mistakes unless money is involved, meaning the loss of.

I got a good one going right now: Lowe's installed a water heater almost two years ago and it's wrong, they charged for items including an inspection from the state and none was done.

It's going to be fun and my carrot that I'm chasing is the payment for correcting all the code violations as a result. It's a hobby that pays me.

PM me if you want specific instructions how to get your money back on that install, an apology and a reprimand given to the installing contractor for the nasty incident involving your wife.

spebby

Reaction score

I once overheard an installer talking badly to my wife, I was working in my home office. I thought, man you have no idea what you have gotten yourself into. The wife started on him like a scalded cat, he left so quickly he forgot some of his tools.

jamesj

Reaction score
Yes mine did the same he replaced the copper line with a braided steel parked below my dishwasher. Yeah and he kept the copper too. I wanted to ask him for it but let it go.

I thought this was a joke... lets face the truth here, master plumbers correct me if Im wrong but...
that peice of copper tube may be worth 35 cents. Copper is a buck a pound or so.... its NOT a pound of tubing. I throw them away because its not worh my time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks