Sharkbite to water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

K2

Reaction score
Website
www.draghead.com
Hey there everyone, I couldn't find anything directly relating to this on a search of the forums:

My Takagi TH1 doesn't have a dedicated Pressure relief valve outlet, so I want to tee one off of the hot water outlet on the takagi, which is a 3/4" Male NPT.

Can I drop a 3/4" Female NPT on this sucker and run the copper from there to my Relief valve? Has anyone seen this setup?

thoughts...

K2

Reaction score
Website
www.draghead.com
thanks for the reply! And just to clarify I was talking about using a 3/4" sharkbite FNPT directly off the tankless, to connect to copper and then Tee just like what you have in the pictures to my 200,000 BTU rated relief valve!

I'm right across the pond in W. Seattle, hoping the inspectors like my setup, i'll post pics when I get closer to finale...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
relief valve

Since I do not feel like trusting the onboard safeties of a tankless heater, I install a brass tee right on the outlet of the tank then install a T&P relief valve on the end of it and use the side outlet for the hot water connecion to the system.

K2

Reaction score
Website
www.draghead.com
that's awesome, i actually went to the big box last night to try and come up with a solution and I bought a brass tee!

thanks for all your help(s)! :)

K2

Reaction score
Website
www.draghead.com
yeah they also have 25 year warranty if installed according to the manufacturer instructions...

I'm just a DIY homeowner trying to do something crazy i'm running that TH1 to supply my domestic through a Manabloc, and tee off into my radiant floors...

the sharkbites are sweet, i've already had to take my system apart and reconfigure, never could have done that with copper...

Here's a preliminary photo:

Radiant.jpg

K2

Reaction score
Website
www.draghead.com
1/2 way there

Alright, I've finished the downstairs plumbing and it actually works after doing it all myself!!
Here is my new takagi TH-1 tankless waterheater (LP), complete with sharkbite fittings (yeah I know expensive) and Wisboro Pex.
I'm using a Manabloc home run distribution system (for my miles of spaghetti) to supply fixtures.

The system also feeds my manifold for the radiant floors, working on setting that up, and my floor 1 fixture distributions now...

takagi1.jpg

takagi2.jpg

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well, I had assumed that it would only be a matter of time. Looks like that time has come.

Wrex

Reaction score
I have never seen so many Sharkbite fittings in one area before :eek:.

World record time :D.

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I'm thinking of approaching the plumbing board with a new product, a special type of rubber tubing designed for potable water that can be snaked through the home with extreme ease.

Garden hose.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
more than that unfortunately... but i tell you what, for the cost of what a plumber would charge to do this all in copper...i made out 10 fold on the deal.

I'm curious...
Had it occured to you that you were talking to plumbers here?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Simply amazing!
With Wirsbo / Uponor PEX expansion tools selling for around $200 on a popular on-line auction site.
The Raven Products SSC crimping tool selling for about $50 at many supply houses.
I cannot believe that anyone would use that many Sharkbites on one job...

You are the King of Sharkbites!

sFun_hailbig.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm thinking of approaching the plumbing board with a new product, a special type of rubber tubing designed for potable water that can be snaked through the home with extreme ease.

Garden hose.

I was working on a home about 8 years ago doing some gas and water work on a kitchen remodel and had to move where the water came in...it was covered with a mound of dirt...when I uncovered it there was a piece of garden hose with hose clamps about 15" long connecting 1/2" copper feed to the house...it appeared to have been there, I am guessing,...maybe 20 years...it was hard / petrified but was weeping a little...So Grumpy your idea about the garden hose just might fly...:)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I was working on a home about 8 years ago doing some gas and water work on a kitchen remodel and had to move where the water came in...it was covered with a mound of dirt...when I uncovered it there was a piece of garden hose with hose clamps about 15" long connecting 1/2" copper feed to the house...it appeared to have been there, I am guessing,...maybe 20 years...it was hard / petrified but was weeping a little...So Grumpy your idea about the garden hose just might fly...:)

I have seen the same thing a few times...
So the water had that garden hose taste...
No big deal! LOL

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sharkbites

All the 25 year guarantee gets you is a new fitting after it fails, and most people are not going to bother with it for a $10.00 fitting, unless in 25 years it is $30.00 fitting.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It's like a bad car accident, I just can't stop looking at it. I've thought about this for awhile before saying this but honesty, if I ran across this set up I would just pull it all down and start over again. Right back to pulling the 1/2 wafer board off the wall and putting 3/4 plywood up instead. I am a fan of pex but this is not the place to use it. All of the piping from the tankless to the manifolds should be done in copper, both for rigidity and looks. The gas line should be moved away from the vent pipe. The relief valve should be hard piped to a threaded tee and hard piped to 6" from the floor. The expansion tank should be solidly hung on rigid pipe not mechanics strap. The whole thing is a mess. If the city mechanical inspector ran across this he would probably have an aneurism on the spot. Here is a prime example of a little bit of knowledge gone wild.

Wrex

Reaction score
I am still wary about this new Sharkbite technology we'll see how they hold up a few decades from now.

Will they be fine or will they end up like Polybutylene Pipe fittings? Fine today and leaking tomorrow.

Luckily I hope no one has piped their entire house with these things :rolleyes:. Behind the walls and whatnot that would be just downright scary.

Using them on copper (which they are approved for) is just downright wasteful if you paid all that money for the copper don't buy these pricey fittings and properly sweat them together.

The fittings seem simple enough but I think the Achilles heel is the sealing O-Ring when that fails you've got a leak. Who knows how long it will retain a watertight seal?

http://www.pinnaclesupply.com/pdf/SharkBiteInst.pdf

They seem to be fine for a temporary fix if the stores are closed and you don't have the fittings to sweat on but beyond that I wouldn't use them.

But that's just me :).

Now that's something I thought that I'd NEVER hear.

I bet you could get a bit of soil taste in your water too :D.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks