Propane line from tank to house?

Users who are viewing this thread

HockeyFan

Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I have a question about a propane line from the tank to the house? In our current house, I ran a 3/4 inch copper line. I'm wondering if there is a different material that can be used and/or what is recommended.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of the specialized gas lines require special tools to install, and you can't buy the materials or tools without credentials validating you know what you're doing.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
3/4 inch is rather large for the high pressure side.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
duct tape

The "Lion" in the "A Tale of Two Cities" used a wet towel. That would be much less painful to remove than duct tape. A friend of mine was bow hunting in MI one year when he stumbled with an arrow in the bow. It went down his boot and cut the back of his leg. When he got to the cabin he dumped the blood out of his boot, then taped the wound with duct tape rather than drive into town to the hospital. When he went to take the duct tape off he said it hurt many times worse than the arrow had.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You don't handle lead with your bare hands do you:eek: The stuff is poision. It will leach through your skin and make you crazier than a you know what house rat:D

come to think of it, maybe thats why I get lost on the way home ppretty often.:D

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
I have a question about a propane line from the tank to the house? In our current house, I ran a 3/4 inch copper line. I'm wondering if there is a different material that can be used and/or what is recommended.

Ignore the hecklers.
Luckily some of us are still in areas where we can do what ever we want to...

I've seen copper used, but black steel pipe is a better choice.

1. No one will pound a tent stake into it. (it should be deeper anyway)
2. it's noticeable when the phone or cable company run into it with the trencher.

Once burred a foot or so down the low oxygen levels will slow rusting.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There are other materials but as stated above there is certification required to use them. It would be a great Idea that a plumber install and hook up the gas line. It's much better than a house raising experience...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

You don't handle lead with your bare hands do you:eek: The stuff is poision. It will leach through your skin and make you crazier than a you know what house rat

We used to handle lead pipe and sheet lead with our hands all the time. You have been brain washed by hyperbole. Anyway, back to the original question. Black, or even galvanized, pipe CANNOT be used for the underground line. At the very least it has to be something like X-Trucoat pipe with an epoxy coating, and even that is a poor material because the coating can become damage before, during, or after installation and then it will very quickly rust out and start leaking. (I have seen sections which looked like swiss cheese after just a few years of burial.) The only time I use that pipe is for a very short installation, when the better materials would be too expensive, and then I wrap and protect the entire line and fittings.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ignore the hecklers.
Luckily some of us are still in areas where we can do what ever we want to...

I've seen copper used, but black steel pipe is a better choice.

1. No one will pound a tent stake into it. (it should be deeper anyway)
2. it's noticeable when the phone or cable company run into it with the trencher.

Once burred a foot or so down the low oxygen levels will slow rusting.

You can't bury black or galvanized steel pipe. National Fuel Gas Code Section 7.1.3

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Bill Arden Computer Programer,

What do you think? Windows XP takes up too much space on my hard drive.
I think a lot of it is files that aren't even used...

I went into explorer and a lot of the files haven't been accessed in sometime.
I'm thinking it would be a good idea if I just delete all the files that haven't been used in a while...

Or. maybe I should stick to plumbing and answering plumbing questions on forums...:cool:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lead

In my previous reply to the question about handling lead, I forgot the main thing. We did not keep our hands dirty because we were handling the lead. We kept them dirty so the molten solder we were using to wipe joints would not stick to the skin if we accidently spilled it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks