Code Question

Users who are viewing this thread

jaxbldginspector

Reaction score
Is there a requirement in the NEC that a three-way switch is required for a set of stairs leading down to a basement or upstairs to another floor/room?

I know it needs to be there but I am looking for the code. Thanks

This is the best website of all times!

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
210.70(A)(2)(c) Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed for interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each floor level, and landing level that includes an entryway, to control the lighting outlet(s) where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or more.

The bold is important.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Is there a requirement in the NEC that a three-way switch is required for a set of stairs leading down to a basement or upstairs to another floor/room?

I know it needs to be there but I am looking for the code. Thanks

This is the best website of all times!

Three ways are never required in the NEC, yes it is required that you need switches at each floor level, but they could be single poles controlling two fixtures. ( yes I know this is dumb) just pointing out the actual code langauge. :)

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
You know, it never actually occurred to me that that is literally the way it is worded. :confused: :rolleyes:
Go figure.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
switch

It left out the long string to turn the switch off once you got upstairs, although since it would have to move downward, you could use a small rock.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks