Pros and Cons of copper sinks

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No personal experience with them. But, do have some with copper bottomed pans. I think it will be high maintenance, show water spots and stains. Do you have a maid?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They can be very nice if bought in a PVD finish other wise you will be polishing to shine it unless you like the greenish, oxidized look.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
PVD finish is even worse because as the finish deteriorates the results are very uneven. Shiny copper with green blotches.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
PVD finish is even worse because as the finish deteriorates the results are very uneven. Shiny copper with green blotches.

PVD applied right and if no abrasives are used will not tarnish ever.

It is normally guaranteed for life.

It is just like every thing else...some people do their jobs right others don't.

drachiele

Reaction score
Website
www.rachiele.com
Copper sinks

Copper lavatory sinks can be a major problem if they are coated with a lacquer or any kind of faux finish. A natural copper sink, if purchased with a natural patina, will require very little maintenance. I have had two copper sinks in my master bath for 7 years and they have served me well.

It is difficult to find copper sinks without some sort of faux finish on them. Try looking for copper sinks made in the USA. Most of the imports seem to have a lacquer over the copper which will wear off unevenly over time.

jams001

Reaction score
Many people asks about how to take care of these beautiful sinks, they are worried and many times they think it can be a daunting task, but that thought about the care a copper sink needs is too far from reality. Caring for these
Copper Sinks bowls is surprisingly easy, more than many people may have thought, and they are virtually maintenance free.

the hiker

Reaction score
# Pros and Cons of copper sinks

The picture shows a bathroom copper sink we got over three years ago. No maintenance at all! I think everything depends on several factors: Type of water (heavy or not), finish, and use. The white spots in the sinks are water drops, I took a picture when it was wet.

We found a very complete copper sinks FAQ that will help to make a better informed decision.

bathroomls.jpg

Jfree

Reaction score
My father in law is a metal smith and has fabricated his own copper countertops from sheet copper. These get very wet as copper basins would. They get a tarnished green aged look that is gorgeous. Don't fight it, they last forever, but only go this route if you like this aesthetic.

drachiele

Reaction score
Website
www.rachiele.com
Copper sink properties

Hello,
I happen to be an expert with copper sinks. If the sink, or countertop, starts out with a natural patina, the product is virtually maintenance free. In fact, if you scratch the bottom of a copper sink, the patina will quickly reappear and hide the scratch. Take a look at aboutcoppersinks.org. There is some good information there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks