Kitchen sink replacement questions...

Users who are viewing this thread

EricR

Reaction score
I'm planning to replace my kitchen sink and I've got a couple of questions about what I might be getting into.

I have laminate counters and the current sink has a metal band around the perimeter (similar to the following image):

Width/depth dimensions to the outside edge of the band is 33" x 22".

My intention was to replace the sink with a typical drop-in sink available at the local plumbing supply or big box store.

What is the function of the trim ring? Is it used to hold the sink down? Is it likely to be caulked down to the counter?

My fear is that I will get everything removed only to find the hole is too big for today's sinks.

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
A 33x22 should work fine. The metal ring is holding the sink in place so if you disconnect becareful so sink does not fall on you especially if it is cast.

You could take strainer's out and put a brace across counter and strap a support thru strainer opening's, this will at least protect you while your disconnecting sink.

EricR

Reaction score
Master Plumber 101,

Thanks for the quick reply and the suggestion to brace the sink.

So, this style of sink mounts from underneath? I guess I'm having trouble visualizing how it all comes together.

If I look at the underside of the sink, I can see little clips with long screws which appear to be holding the sink tight to the counter. I assumed that loosening/removing the screws would allow the trim ring to be removed and the sink to be lifted out.

Is that not the way it works?

Thanks,
Eric

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The rim is T-shaped. Special brackets "hang" from the T and clamp the ring down, at the same time clamping the sink up against the underside of the rim.

Some would call this "dated" or "old school" but the advantage of rim mount over self rimming is the ability to wipe debris right off the counertop and into the sink. With the drop in sinks, you have as much as an inch to get over.

Here is a pic of a typical clip ( they vary by brand ).

imagerequest.aspx

The "hook" hangs from the vertical bar of the T. The lip on the right catches the underside of the counter top, and a screw threads into the hole, and tightens up against the bottom of the sink.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ring

Removing the clips will allow the rim to be lifted out, but unless the sink is also supported by tabs on the rim, it will fall down into the cabinet. It would be unusual for the tabs not to be bent in under the sink, because without them it would have been VERY difficult to install the sink in the first place.

EricR

Reaction score
jimbo, hj,

Thanks for the additional detail. That really helps!

SeaRemodel

Reaction score
Can you tell me more...

Happy to find this thread. Just about to replace the counter top in our home with new laminate, but wasn't planning on replacing the sink which has a metal ring. The counter top folks are saying that this is called a 'hootie ring', and they don't believe that it can be removed and re-installed properly - something about not being able to get a good seal afterwords. They're suggesting that we find a new 'hootie ring' (which seems to be impossible to find), or replace the sink.

Any advice about how to remove and re-install the ring without compromising the integrity of the seal?

SeaRemodel

Reaction score
Can you expound on that a bit...is it too hard to get the ring off and put back on? Replacing the counter top is meant to be just a stop-gap for a couple of years until we can do a real remodel.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
Let me exbound. You can go pick up a cheap sink at HD or another store for $75-100. By the time you get done trying to get the old sink out and salvage it the new one is in. What I am saying is you don't want to reuse the hootie ring.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Can you expound on that a bit...is it too hard to get the ring off and put back on? Replacing the counter top is meant to be just a stop-gap for a couple of years until we can do a real remodel.

The ring is HOLDING THE SINK UP....so you must remove the whole sink to get the counter top off. Once you do that, you could reuse the old sink and rink, or put in a new one. You could get an inexpensive drop in stainless steel sink...easy to put in, looks good, that will hold you over a few years.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ring

"Huddee" rim was a trademark, just like Ardee, Vance "Kintrim", and others. Ask for sink frame/rim and HD people will know what you are talking about, even if they have never seen, or heard of, a "real" Huddee rim.

steve_m_d

Reaction score
Kitchen sink new plumbing smell

We remodeled our kitchen in May and put in a new sink and plumbing. Since we had the plumbing installed there has been a horrible stench under the sink. Is this likely a sealant or a bonding compound? Is there a way to neutralize this smell? It does not seem to be dissipating any over time.

thanks,
steve

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Steve,
Please post a picture of the drain piping under the sink.
I believe there may be an issue there.

Please start your own thread.

Last edited:

SeaRemodel

Reaction score
Huddee ring

Thanks for your comments regarding the "Huddee" ring. The problem with getting a new sink at this time, is that our old cabinets and countertop are not the typical depth (go figure!), and a standard 33" x 22" sink would be too large. We opt'd to have a plumber we've worked with in the past take a look. He was able to remove the clips and get the ring and sink out without any problems. So for now, our next plan of action is to have the counter top folks replace the counter, cutting out the same exact opening for the sink. Then we're bringing back in the plumber to re-install the sink and ring.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

Ah, the light dawns. The key words in your original picture are "Similar to". You may have an old Napannee kitchen with a 23" countertop, which would change the entire thread because you might need a 30x19 sink.

tommy1985

Reaction score
I love my sink, but want to get rid of the metal ring. Can I do this without replacing the counters?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I love my sink, but want to get rid of the metal ring. Can I do this without replacing the counters?

Sinks installed with the rings were mainly standard sizing. Either Stainless or cast iron will cover most of the cutouts.
33" x 22" for doubles and 25" x 22" for single bowls.

sink-replacement-terrylove-3.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks