Anyone know how to fix this drain stop

Users who are viewing this thread

omega_contractor

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to replace the drain stop mechanism (it has a slow leak when closed) and I can't seem to get the brass fitting off that holds the drain stop in. The drain stop operates by turning to open and is the center knob. Enclosed is a photo of the fixture. I've turned the brass fitting with a wrench and now spins freely and is loose and wiggles but will not come out.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Bathtub fixture.jpg
    Bathtub fixture.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 224

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You have an indirect waste and overflow...
You may want to call in a plumber on this one.
Botching it up could lead to an entire bath remodel with replacement of the tub.

Simply said it's 1930's stuff you have there and doesn't meet present code so parts is a problem...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The thing you have to work on is inside the large tube behind the wall, and a repair, if it can even be repaired, is not a job for the faint of heart.

omega_contractor

Reaction score
You have an indirect waste and overflow...
You may want to call in a plumber on this one.
Botching it up could lead to an entire bath remodel with replacement of the tub.

Simply said it's 1930's stuff you have there and doesn't meet present code so parts is a problem...

Thanks Redwood, I have the handle apart and thought if I can get the brass fitting off, I would be able to pull the stopper out. I'm stumped as to what could be holding the fitting in if it rotates freely and wiggles. Is there a retaining clip holding it?

My local parts store said they probably would have a replacement part if I brought in the old one to match. I know it's a long shot. My client has been using a plastic cover to keep the water in and that will continue to work if I can't repair this.

The thing you have to work on is inside the large tube behind the wall, and a repair, if it can even be repaired, is not a job for the faint of heart.

HJ, so I guess my question is, can the stopper assembly be retrieved without tearing into the wall? If I have to, I will stop now and put it back together. I have a strong heart btw. ;) but after this job, I guess that could change.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With the tub spout below the rim of the tub, it wouldn't meet any current codes. Unless you can gain access behind the wall, I don't think you'll be able to fix it, and you'll be lucky to find replacment parts.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Inside the wall there is a tube. There is a tube in the center of that lifts to allow the water to drain...

Everything happens inside the wall.

I assure you parts for that would only be of the used variety...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks