Lowes Dishwasher installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Ddagsyn

Reaction score
hi
I purchased a brand new dishwasher at Lowes and had them install it on last Friday. On Sunday, curious as i am decided to remove the face plate at the bottom to check for any leaks etc.
No leaks but was surprised to find that the dishwasher was run on the braided stainless supply line during the installation and was now clamped under the dishwasher with the electrical behind it.
I called Lowes immediately and they called back giving me the installer direct line. Anyway after a few missed calls on his part i finally got him on the phone and he was surpurised that i was concern with the way the supply line was ran. I told him i did not care how strong that line was i just wanted it to be done right.
Question for the experts? Is this how a job is done? Did i over react in trying to get Lowes to come out to fix this? BTW I am still working on getting them out to fix this
Thanks

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Is the supply squished under the motor housing or under the j-box for the electrical supply¿ Sounds like carelessness on the installers part. Tell him that he'll have warm chocalate chip cookies waiting for him if he makes it by to free up the supply.
Two worst case scenarios are:
1. Kinked line, restricting water to DW.
2. Damaged supply line that will flood your kitchen. I'd make note of the supply lines condition before he leaves with his cookies and milk.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They way to take care of the problem is to complain to Low*s enough and tell them you want a refund because the job was done incorectly. If they do refund you the installation $$$ then they won't pay the installer. You can also tell them that if the line bursts and floods your home they will be responsible because they were the ones you contracted with...this should get you immediate action.

Ddagsyn

Reaction score
The installation is free thru a rebate. Maybe i can get a 10% discount.

The installer told me you can have a tractor sit on the line and it will work. As for me i don't care if a battle tank can sit on it and still work. I just want the job done right. That's the point i am trying to make to him. It takes 10 secs to pull the slack out of the line. And yes your are right if it were to flood i would personally sue Lowes. Just pissed off with the shabby work they did. Anyway i bought a brand new line for him to replace.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree that what you found is unacceptable, and his response about parking a truck on it is informative about WHO installs appliances for the discount stores: Truck drivers, NOT plumbers! The stores carry a GC license, and that seems to give them a license to do whatever they want!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water and electric

The installer probably connected the water and electric before sliding it into the opening and then did not pull the slack as he slid it in, so the lines slid under the bottom rails. They are probably behind the rear legs so all that is needed is to slide them back and then lift them over the DW framework.

Ddagsyn

Reaction score
The installer probably connected the water and electric before sliding it into the opening and then did not pull the slack as he slid it in, so the lines slid under the bottom rails. They are probably behind the rear legs so all that is needed is to slide them back and then lift them over the DW framework.

Yes that probably what he needs to do. But i am going to push him to actually replace the line. I have already purchased one from Lowe's at my expense. Will deal with them reimbursing me after he fixes the issue.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
please show pity on the poor guy.....

I would not wish working for Lowes on my worst enemy....

They dont pay the poor guy anything to do the installation...

They work them like slaves, and keep most of the
money for themselves too... and they expect thise fellows
to show up and stand around at Lowes for half the day
doing petty paperwork ..

the managers at Lowes treat them like dirt too.....

He has to probably install about 8 of those dishwashers
a day to make a decent living...

it is the same with the water heater installs...

Perhaps you are right and he did make a mistake...
just understand that they work him like a dog till
he finally quits or drops dead from exaustion...

I know this from personal experience and I would
never work for those petty tyrants ever again.....

(when he makes it right, give him a 10 dollar tip) .\

at least consider it ... .

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Some Lowes stores hire extremely good contractors, others awful ones. It depends on where you live and the luck of the draw.

I travel a bit further out to one in a more affluent area when I use their contractor services.

I tipped him $60.

Of course this was to fit a door. I would never hire a plumber to do plumbing work, unless it involved gas, DWV or anything at or before the main shut-off valve. Alright, maybe I would also hire one to fit a pedestal. It's nice to see them earn their keep with those. ;)

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Tell him if he doesn't come out and fix it right you'll park a truck on his freekin head.:D

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
Why do you reward incompentence by tipping the guy? I have no problem tipping the guy for doing the job right the first time, but I don't understand why you would tip the guy to come back and fix his mistakes????

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Tell him if he doesn't come out and fix it right you'll park a truck on his freekin head.:D

Why do you reward incompentence by tipping the guy? I have no problem tipping the guy for doing the job right the first time, but I don't understand why you would tip the guy to come back and fix his mistakes????

I'm fine with both of these!

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
When I replaced my dishwasher, I went with a local appliance shop that charged the most for the installation. I have a very tight space and found out that HD just trained their delivery people to do the installation, and that the Lowe's installers were not always insured contractors. The contractor guy replaced the copper water line with a braided steel line (which I paid for) and kept the copper. I didn't say anything since he did a good job. He earned the few $$s for the copper....

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well if its the same guy he gets nothing except a callback...
If they send someone else then lay a tip on him....
Hows that?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Somone should send the state plumbing inspector out to Lowe's to have a little chin wag about unlicensed plumbers installing appliances. There's a lot of things that can be done very wrong that may impact the rest of the plumbing system. Perhaps the electrical inspector should go with him because I'm sure they hooked that up also.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dw

There is nothing wrong with the line he installed. The line is surgical rubber tubing inside a woven stainless steel sheath. Neither of them are damaged by squeezing them. If you insist on him using your new line fine, but do not expect him to pay you for it. I wouldn't.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the line he installed. The line is surgical rubber tubing inside a woven stainless steel sheath. Neither of them are damaged by squeezing them. If you insist on him using your new line fine, but do not expect him to pay you for it. I wouldn't.

I prefer the stainless braided to copper. It's more flexible and less prone to working loose from vibration. Still though, I have a problem with "some guy" from Lowes installing appliances and tying into the plumbing and electric.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Lowes and home depot

I go out on quite a few calls where
you see some pretty sloppy installs
of water heaters ect....

I see them installeld with
black iron pipe couplings then nipples

anything to get the unit slapped in as quickly as possible ......

have seen that a lot over the years

here is a cute article to read about what might
come through your door to do your work

http://www.planetfeedback.com/home+depot+inc/other/hot+water+heater+woes/245026

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks