PVC conduit for residential install

Users who are viewing this thread

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
I need to add some outlets in my unfinished portion of the basement and add a subpanel next to my main panel. Is PVC okay to use indoors a residential situation? I can bend pipe, but I'm slower at it and often its not the best looking.

-rick

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
If it is for protection from damage then you must use Sch80. If it is simply for looks then Sch40 is fine.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi, thanks. Its just for appearance. I know I could shoot a piece of PT to the wall and run the romex down the PT to an outlet at 4 feet but its not the look I want. I'll spend the $$$ and time for the PVC.
-rick

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
The reason for using pipe down the wall is for physical protection. Not so much for looks. The 2008 NEC requires schedule 80 pvc for physical protection if your using PVC.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks