Bathroom over fuse box

Users who are viewing this thread

Big Dawg

Reaction score
I am in the process of remodeling my early 60's house here in Atlanta and have question that I can't seem to find an answer.

My master and guest baths sit directly above my utility room which houses my fuse box (I am going to upgrade- just not quite there yet). The master and guest baths are split by a bathtub shower (doors on both sides of the tub- one set opens to the master, the other set to the guest bath) and I want to make the 2 completely seperate baths. I am going to stip everything down to the studs and start from scratch. Now my question, right now the end of the tub sits almost directly over the fuse box. When I spilt the bath in 2 I will have a bathtub that sits almost directly over the fuse box and a shower (stand up) that will be directly over the box. Is this an issue? I have asked a lot of experts and no one can give me a decisive answer. Anything would be appreciated.
Shawn

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
I am in the process of remodeling my early 60's house here in Atlanta and have question that I can't seem to find an answer.

My master and guest baths sit directly above my utility room which houses my fuse box (I am going to upgrade- just not quite there yet). The master and guest baths are split by a bathtub shower (doors on both sides of the tub- one set opens to the master, the other set to the guest bath) and I want to make the 2 completely seperate baths. I am going to stip everything down to the studs and start from scratch. Now my question, right now the end of the tub sits almost directly over the fuse box. When I spilt the bath in 2 I will have a bathtub that sits almost directly over the fuse box and a shower (stand up) that will be directly over the box. Is this an issue? I have asked a lot of experts and no one can give me a decisive answer. Anything would be appreciated.
Shawn

So your bathrooms are located on the floor above a utility room? If so, then yeah, its okay, but no pipes can run over the top of the panel.

Big Dawg

Reaction score
Yes - the bathrooms are on the floor above. There is no ceiling in the utility room so I can see everything (will make work easier). When you say the pipes cant run above- how far from the sides or out in front of the box do they need to be?

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Yes - the bathrooms are on the floor above. There is no ceiling in the utility room so I can see everything (will make work easier). When you say the pipes cant run above- how far from the sides or out in front of the box do they need to be?

Then can run right next to the panel, just not OVER the panel. but by code this only applies up to the structured ceiling, then you would need some type of protection installed if you did want to run over the top of the panel.

Big Dawg

Reaction score
Thanks. You just made my day. Your knowledge is invaluable and I appreciate your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks