Sillcock screw is stuck

Users who are viewing this thread

GreenTeam

Reaction score
The sillcock in front of our house is stuck in the "on" position. The handle just spins. We have tried to tighten the screw in the middle of the handle, but it won't budge. We've soaked it in WD-40 several times, even spraying some behind the handle. I'm afraid we'll strip the screwdriver slot if we keep trying to turn the screw.

We have a hose attached with a shutoff thing on the end of it.

I'd appreciate any advice! (We've never fixed a sillcock before, but if the fix is simple we can probably handle it.)

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Replace the whole thing...don't bother trying to fix it....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
screw

Drill the screw head off, remove the handle, turn it off with pliers, use the same pliers to remove the screw stub, buy a new handle and screw. Or replace the valve.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I believe we have quorum gentlemen. All in favor of replacing the valve say Aye. AyeOpposed .zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Motion carried to replace the valve. Meeting ajourned :)

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Why did you think that tightening the screw in the middle of the handle would do anything?

You might try to push the handle in while turning and see if it will catch threads and shut off.

But the others are right - I certainly wouldn't mess with one of those - just replace it.

GreenTeam

Reaction score
Thank you!

Thank you very much for your comments, everyone!

Well, we thought it was just a problem of the screw needing to be tightened in order to engage the handle so we could turn it off. I talked to the guy at the hardware store and he thought maybe the problem isn't really about the screw not turning, but whatever the screw usually screws into (the valve?) is broken.

For a while, after the handle "popped out" we could push it back in and it would catch and stay in for a while, but not anymore.

So, it sounds like this fix might be easy enough for a DIY job? We just force (drill) the screw off, take the handle off, use a pliers to turn the nut to an "off" position, remove the screw stub, and then replace with a new handle and screw?

If the valve is broken or bad, is that an easy fix too? We are not good with sodering or anything more advanced like that.

Thank you!

GreenTeam

Reaction score
Oh, and just to clarify, when you guys say "replace it" you mean replace the handle and screw, or handle and screw and valve, right? And the valve is the 2 or 3-inch long thing behind the handle? In other words, we don't have to deal with any pipes inside the house, right?

(Sorry, we are beginners, but we can learn, LOL!)

GreenTeam

Reaction score
Hmm . . . I think it is a frost-free valve, which would be inside the house. Does that affect the ability to simply replace the handle and screw?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
the valves come in solder on and screw on...if yours is screw on, it's a matter of finding the same length replacement, and just replacing the whole valve. If it is soldered on, and you're not compentant to replace it, then you may want to enlist a friend or pay a plumber.

You might need to completely rebuild the thing for it to work right, and even then, if the valve seat is worn or damaged, or the internal threaded components are stripped, it can't be fixed, and must be replaced.

GreenTeam

Reaction score
the valves come in solder on and screw on...if yours is screw on, it's a matter of finding the same length replacement, and just replacing the whole valve. If it is soldered on, and you're not compentant to replace it, then you may want to enlist a friend or pay a plumber.

You might need to completely rebuild the thing for it to work right, and even then, if the valve seat is worn or damaged, or the internal threaded components are stripped, it can't be fixed, and must be replaced.

Thank you! I guess we'll hope it's the screw-in type. We can't find the corresponding pipes in the crawl space in that part of the house. Maybe they are behind a floor joist? Might be hard to get to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks