gfci - can i feed multiple receptacles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bmcleod65

Reaction score
I've got a GFCI in the bathroom, middle of a run (two receptacles daisy chained after).

I want to add another receptacle in the bathroom, can I have the hot run coming into the Line terminal of the gfci and then have two runs coming out of the load terminals (there are two sets of lines and two sets of load holes).

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes. There are limitations in the code regarding where you can put more receptacles on the dedicated bathroom circuit, but there are no limitations on additional outlets in the same bathroom.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
I've got a GFCI in the bathroom, middle of a run (two receptacles daisy chained after).

I want to add another receptacle in the bathroom, can I have the hot run coming into the Line terminal of the gfci and then have two runs coming out of the load terminals (there are two sets of lines and two sets of load holes).

as long as you dont leave the bathroom your good to go.

Bmcleod65

Reaction score
Actually the bathroom receptacle I am replacing is in the middle of an existing loop - it then continues off into the bedroom receptacles - should I pigtail the wires so that the bedroom is not on the gfci circuit?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are caught between a rock and a hard place.

The bathroom circuit may have been installed before the code requirement that other circuits could not be connected to a bathroom circuit. I don't have old codes to check.

If you install a new bedroom circuit now you would fall under the code requirement that circuits be protected with an AFCI breaker.

If the work was originally done to code then it is not required to change it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks