Why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
:confused:I have a Question. Why do plumbers, more notably in the south and in rual areas use ABS pipe? In the North we use sch 40 pvc.The only time we use ABS is on trailer homes(which plumbers do not install) or on the initial take off on the exaust of a larger power vent water heater. Maybe, because it can with stand more heat and being in the south it's warmer? I never understood this. I guess I'm just use to the way I've been doing things.:eek::confused::confused:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I think it's just a regional thing based on what the wholesalers want to carry.. About 25 years back a couple of the supply houses tried ABS but we'd all been using pvc and no one really wanted to gear up for abs. Besides which abs cracks even wors in cold weather than pvc.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
abs

It just depends on which material the wholesalers carry, which is an adjunct of what the plumbers decided to buy in the first place. Some wholesalers carry one or the other, with a few pieces of the alternate material.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I live in the Maine , NH boarder but work mostly in NH and Mass. NH uses the IPC, Maine the UPC and Mass has their own code.

36 yers in the business gives me the ability to write the IDGAF guide book:D

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
I understand wholesale houses probably:cool: only supply that specific type of piping, I still think it does not look good. It's good to hear other people's opinion.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
fire codes and ABS

in the mid west the ABS was kicked out the door a long time ago becasue of the fire codes....

the ABS will burn like a torch when it catches fire and
adds to the intence inferno in the home...

the PVC will only smoulder when a building catches fire...

so they got the bright idea that the PVC is better for that
reason ....... so I suppose it is,,,,.

of course both of them have toxic fumes bad enough to kill you in a minute or two

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pvc

PVC will also emit toxic gases while it is smoldering. But apparently you have never set PVC on fire. IT will burn very good. The only benefit of PVC is that it will usually melt and close off the pipe to prevent drafts from carrying the flame and fumes to other areas.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
How does that matter???

HJ.... wether I have lit up PVC before. how does that matter?.
of course I have burnt both up in trash fires....

but it does not
change the issue that was debated by the inspectors
in this state....

I suppose some fire department .---somewhere in our
po-dunkey state -----must have noticed that the ABS really
burned rapidly and helped spread the fire, where-as the PVC smouldered more often

then they must have gotten together and outlawed the ABS back around 1973....

at least in the mid-west the PVC is popular and the ABS is
not....

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
When they adopted the UPC here (definitely not the south), they allowed ABS while other states (such as Montana) decided to use the PVC. PVC is harder-surfaced and expands and contracts about 1/2 of ABS. However, for the most part, ABS holds up just fine. Some local supply houses are beginning to stock more PVC so perhaps eventually we'll change.

Reaction score
:mad:I havent put in one stick of ABS in my life they dont even sell it at supply houses and I am from the south ABS is for mobile homes. You will find very few homes made in the 60's and 70's that are ruffed in and toped out with ABS. What are you really trying to say that people from north of the mason dixon are better plumbers?

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
:mad:I havent put in one stick of ABS in my life they dont even sell it at supply houses and I am from the south ABS is for mobile homes. You will find very few homes made in the 60's and 70's that are ruffed in and toped out with ABS. What are you really trying to say that people from north of the mason dixon are better plumbers?

No, what I was trying to say is in my travels down south that's all I ever noticed installed and wondered what advantage you have by installing ABS other than it's allowed. The area I reside in is all sch 40 pvc. So I never Installed ABS on drain waste and vent system's. My quest for answers was not to cut anyone down.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks