I need some Basic Plumbing questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hey felllows Im a newbie but I have to evaluate an employee I need some basic questions to do that. This is what I am thinking so far- What is the maximum distance from the trap wier to the vent runing 2in. questions like that is what i am looking for thanks for your help.

Reaction score
No it an evaluation for a direct hire employee that has never done plumbing. It is so I can get him out of my shop.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Let me get this right...
You hired someone to do plumbing work that has never done plumbing work and rather than test abilities before hiring you are going to test before firing?:confused:

Reaction score
No he was hired by recruiters for the company I work for as a plumber when he came to work after being hired he cannot do simple tasks assigned to him such as install a sloan flush valve on a urinal so I need the questions to give to the HR dept so i can move him out of the plumbing trade to lets say carpentry. That way i might be able to get a real plumber in his spot.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Strange company! You hire someone off the street....let's just put him in the plumbing department all by himself and see what comes up. If that doesn't work out, we can always use a carpenter. Or, maybe there will be an opening in the HR dept. With all that carpentry and plumbing experience, this guy is a natural!

Reaction score
Thanks for the help but I got him out of the shop. I gave the HR dept some really simple questions he only got 1 of 10 correct so starting Friday he is a carpenter.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Maybe a good start would be to ask for a plumbing license #

After that you could probably skip the test.

cdwz

Reaction score
Thanks for the help but I got him out of the shop. I gave the HR dept some really simple questions he only got 1 of 10 correct so starting Friday he is a carpenter.

What makes you think he'll be any better at carpentry? He might end up lopping his fingers off and try to stick your shop with the hospital bill.

Reaction score
The company I work for hires people off the street now just as you said but he is actually a carpenter that is what he applied for. When I applied for work here I had to send in copys of my license and all the certifications that i have MED gas Backflow but not any more and we are starving for plumbers. We cannot keep them it might be the enviroment that I work in or upper managment who knows but i totaly disagree with there hiring practices I have worked long and hard for my license and to bring someone off the street and make him a plumber and give him the same pay as my licensed plumbers is wrong. That is why I wanted him out if they would have made him a helper that would have been ok I would have trained him.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not sure what part of the country you are from but why would anyone hire a plumber or an apprentice that could not produce either a license or a yellow card?

Reaction score
I do not work in america anymore to there is to much money to be made being an expat and working in Austrailia Antartica Bermuda Iraq and Afghanistan I dont work for small companys. Look into it that is how I think they get around a lot of the licensing issues.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
As usual a companies maint dept. is 10 lbs. in a 5 lb. sack.

I spent way to long in that environment before using the handles on my toolbox.:mad:

Funny thing... I see my old boss at the supply house and he keeps begging me to come back... It will be so different! I guess all the talented help left...:eek:

I just tell him that I doubt they could afford me!
He says I might be surprised!
I haven't bothered checking...

I have too many memories of running around like a mad man in an understaffed maint department fixing all the fires caused by a lack of qualified help. Yea they'd let me talk to an applicant and when I said the guy didn't know jack and they should pass on that one guess who got to work with the useless help! 14 hour days for years on end and working every Saturday takes its toll.

Maybe they need to figure out a way to fix their botched up system before they lose all the talented help. I have friends that still work there and I get to hear the stories about the guy that I consider to be the straw that broke the camels back. This guy was barely qualified to sweep & mop a floor nevermind do plumbing. There was a piece of equipment that used a PRV which had failed. I pulled the replacement valve off the shelf and sent him to go do it. He was supposed to meet me and help me on a project I was working on. I'm hustling and waiting for his help. Finally several hours later I've got everything done that I can do without a helper and I go looking for this bozo... He's sitting at the bench and has the old PRV disassembled further than I have ever seen one disassembled and he's looking at the pieces...

The new one is still sitting there uninstalled and the vital machine is still down...

Yep, Tell them to fix it before you use the handles on your tool box!

Reaction score
I have seen people come and go because of these types of hiring practices the latest and greatest is Kenyans from Africa saying they are plumbers because they did it in the Kenyan navy I didnt know Kenya had a navy but ok the hole point of this thread was I was just wanting a few simple question to give to the slackers in the HR dept so I could get dead weight out and bring real plumbers in. Here were I work it seems that we have more JACKLEGS than tadesmen that is what I am going to change.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This is really really politically incorrect but what is plumbing in Kenya? digging a big hole in the ground?:D

Reaction score
LOL a big hole in the ground. Its true though I even asked one if he had sewer or water in his home and the aswer is NO.But they are hired as plumbers .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks