Tub Drain Lever

Users who are viewing this thread

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
I can't believe I'm the only person ever to have this happen:)

Somehow the two piece lever actuated tub drain mechanism became separated. In other words the 'drum' that seals the drain when in the down position, separated from upper lever section. I think it is resting somewhere towards the bottom of drain pipe, but luckily it is not in the closed position as the tub still drains. But of course the tub drain lever is inoperative.

I've tried fishing the drum piece out with a coat hanger, but have not snagged it yet. It's made of brass so a magnet won't do any good. You can't see or feel the separated piece. This is an upstairs bath, so I really have no access to the plumbing unless I open up the kitchen ceiling below (which I don't want to do of course). Not sure this is clear, but if you know what I'm talking about, and have an idea, please advise. Thanks!!!:confused:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Your description is confusing, because if that piece fell off the only place it could go would be into the drain tee and THAT WOULD close the drain and keep the water from draining. There is no way that could not happen. Did you EVER see the lower piece? Why did you take it apart?

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Your description is confusing, because if that piece fell off the only place it could go would be into the drain tee and THAT WOULD close the drain and keep the water from draining. There is no way that could not happen. Did you EVER see the lower piece? Why did you take it apart?

That's a good question! This was so long ago, I don't really remember why I took it apart - probably because I thought the drain stop was not working - ie: not keeping the water in the tub (???)

But I see what you're getting at - maybe the lower 'drum' piece was never there in the first place (???) I never use that upstairs tub so I don't know if the thing ever worked since we bought the house. I just assumed that when I removed the overflow plate and lever, and did not find the bottom section, that it had somehow become disattached. This is turning into a (low budget) mystery!

While I was at the store earlier today, I happened to look at new overflow/ drain set and noticed how the upper and lower metal pieces were connected (interlocking loops). Unless the brass rods corroded entirely, it would seem almost impossible for the pieces to become separated by themselves.

I'm going to try and pass a heavy wire down the overflow pipe and see if I feel any resistance or feel anything move. If not, I'll assume the lower piece was removed for some reason, and just replace the overflow/drain stop mechanism.

Thanks for your help! I never would have assumed a key component was missing from the get go!!:) But stay tuned, the above was only an annoyance. My second and more serious problem is a small leak somewhere near the tub that is now showing up on the kitchen ceiling. Not sure if it's the tub drain, the overflow, a valve stem, or something else. Trying to remove the drain now and re-putty, but it won't budge just yet.

RR

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

You won't feel a resistance because the plug is hollow and your probe will just slip through if it is there, which is not likely. Take a coat hanger and make a "V" in the end of it with a short hook. Slide that down and then twist it while pulling it up. If the drain plug is there you will grab its "bail" and pull it out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks