Tree Touching Wires

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
There is a 20' high norway spruce tree touching a "thick" elctrical wire.

Can someone be shocked by touching or climbing the tree (without touching the wire)?

Thanks for any replys,

Cookie

Reaction score
Molo,

Send your cat up the tree first,
16_1_23.gif

In all seriousness, it depends on alot of things, if it is raining, how well you are grounded, how much insulation is worn off the wire, alot of variables. I would be careful.

I would call a professional tree guy.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Call the power company... they may hack away more than you want.

Cookie

Reaction score
I found this on the net Molo:

Tree Trimmer Falls onto Live Wire
March 27th, 2006 @ 8:51pm

(KSL News) -- A tree trimmer survived a scary and potentially deadly situation this afternoon.
The man was in a 120-year old cottonwood tree when one the branches he was trimming fell onto a live wire. The man reported feeling electrical current running through his legs.
The power company arrived and shut the power down. A ladder truck from the fire department then brought the man safely to the ground. He was treated at the scene. After getting on the ground, the victim cleaned up his tools and went home for the day.

The power companies hack mine to pieces. I use a tree guy and tell him what I want cut. I had 2 huge trees cut down recently. Both 90 footers because one was too close to my house and the other overhung my neighbors in the back. I was glad I did it. I got 2 in the front, that has to come down for the same reasons with powerlines.

Cookie

Reaction score
Actually, there were 3 , 90 footers!
Check these out, and these tree guys were fantastic! I would never had climbed these trees. It was amazing to watch them.

Last edited:

RRW

Reaction score
Oh so true, we had a really bad storm on Monday and the scanner was calling fires in trees and transformers all over town.

pudge565

Reaction score
As a nolunteer Fire Fighter i can tell you that most often tree/transformer fires are started by lightning. NOT the wires rubbing the tree. But over a period of time this is possible.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
There is a 20' high norway spruce tree touching a "thick" elctrical wire.
At 20' and "thick" this is not power, it is phone or cable. Even if it is power it would be secondary and most likely insulated.
Primary is much higher and is either insulated or bare.

I agree with pudge, but I do also thing you should call someone about it.

Molo

Reaction score
At 20' and "thick" this is not power, it is phone or cable. Even if it is power it would be secondary and most likely insulated.
Primary is much higher and is either insulated or bare.

I agree with pudge, but I do also thing you should call someone about it.

Yes, I don't think it's the main power lines either. I'm not sure what it is.

It goes along at the same height as the cable line and every so often it goes into a "tube" that is about 2' long and 4-5" in diameter.

Not sure what it is, but I'm not going to mess with it.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Probably either cable TV or telephone. The "tube" is a splice box or junction box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks