Moen shower faucet attachment - confusion!

Users who are viewing this thread

loFreqncy

Reaction score
I'm almost finished tiling my new shower, now its time to attach the faucet.

I have a new moen shower setup listed here:
http://www.moen.com/browsecatalog/c...inish=5664&crow=1&details=product&sku=82248BN

According to the instructions I should be able to do a "slip fit" or IPS connnection for the spout. I would like to do slip fit, I currently have a brass pex drop ear in the wall waiting for me to attach pipe to it.

The very vague:confused: instructions show a set screw attachment which is all well and good, but there is no place to put a screw at all. Just a U shaped cut out on the bottom of the spout, with nothing behind it. There is of course a threaded portion at the opposite end of the spout for IPS. Do I need a different spout all together? There seems to be nothing on the package to indicate a seperate IPS or Slipfit version. I thought I could do either with this kit. Thanks in advance for setting a newbie like me straight.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
According to the instructions I should be able to do a "slip fit" or IPS connnection for the spout. I would like to do slip fit, I currently have a brass pex drop ear in the wall waiting for me to attach pipe to it.

I'm sorry to hear about that! When you finish your job water will come out of both the spout and the shower at the same time. Pex is not supposed to be used in that application.
:eek:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They have different part numbers for the slip-fit verses the IPS version of the spout...so, it appears they are not dual-purpose. Sounds like you got the 3806 spout verses the 3807. Probably a different dash-number on the box.

loFreqncy

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about that! When you finish your job water will come out of both the spout and the shower at the same time. Pex is not supposed to be used in that application.
:eek:

So far so good as far as I can tell, I've had the drop ear plugged and used the shower serveral times. Why would Pex make water come from both? Is it a back pressure issue. I'd really like to understand why this would be? To be clear, the drop ear is PEX(already connected in wall) to 1/2" ips.

Last edited:

loFreqncy

Reaction score
They have different part numbers for the slip-fit verses the IPS version of the spout...so, it appears they are not dual-purpose. Sounds like you got the 3806 spout verses the 3807. Probably a different dash-number on the box.

Darn, looks like IPS it is, I don't want to waste any cash on this. Any tips on getting the ips pipe the perfect length? It says it should be 4 1/16" from the finished wall surface.

Thanks again.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Wait until you try to use the spout to fill the tub!

Due to the backpressure from using PEX it will come out of both the tub spout and the shower at the same time.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The OD of pex and copper is the same, but the ID of pex is smaller, thus less volume and potentially more backpressure. Depends on your water pressure whether you'll see a problem. Pex to the valve would have been fine, but everything after the valve should be copper.

loFreqncy

Reaction score
I did a test run, and it has a small trickle. still very usable, guess I'll have to live with it. If it really bothers me later on, I'll have to cap it off and tile over the spout. Thanks for the heads up. In the future I'll know better. Live and learn, I guess.

B2CHR

Reaction score
To me the inside of the pex seems to work fine but it's the very small dia of the 90 brass pex fitting that causes the restriction. I run pex up to the showerhead and this works fine to me.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Pex up to the showerhead is not a problem. Wnen you run it down to the spout the the small dia. of the adapter at the valve, tubing and drop ear 90, creates too much back pressure and pushes water up to the shower arm.

loFreqncy

Reaction score
Wait until you try to use the spout to fill the tub!

Due to the backpressure from using PEX it will come out of both the tub spout and the shower at the same time.
I am very happy to report that I encountered none of the above problems, works flawlessly. When I fill the tub, about 2 drops come out of the shower head at first, and thats it. You had me pretty worried!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Phew, You're a lucky one!

If it happens at some time in the future it would probably be due to the water company increasing the pressure.
In that case a Pressure Reducing Valve could be installed reducing the pressure to where it is now...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Providence

quote; I am very happy to report that I encountered none of the above problems, works flawlessly. When I fill the tub, about 2 drops come out of the shower head at first, and thats it.

I guess there really is a Supreme Being who watches over people who do not read, or follow, the written directions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks