Replacing Double Garage Doors With A Single?

Users who are viewing this thread

Livin4Real

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my old beat up double roll up doors with one big single garage door. Our garage has about a 2' gable overhang above the doors, I'd like to know how one goes about supporting the area above while replacing it? I plan on using a glulam and it'll be about a 16' span.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Build a temporary load-bearing wall prior to tearing out that center support. Brace it in place well so you don't knock it down during the installation of the gulam beam.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
That's what I thought. The house was built in the 60's and I haven't had a chance to check out how they attached the overhang to the current headers which is worrying me. That'll be my weekend goal, lol.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
overhang

Unless the joists run parallel to the garage doors, which would be unusual, the overhang is normally just an extension of the ceiling joists crossing over the doors' headers.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Any structural revision requires a building permit, and if you don't get one, you'll have to disclose that when you sell the house. The building inspector will require you to hire an engineer. He'll need to know if its supporting the floor, and if so, how long the joists are. Also the slope of the roof, wall height over the door, and type of siding. Expect to pay about $300 for the engineer.

Consider using LVLs rather than a glulam. Laminated Veneer Lumber is stronger, and comes in 1-3/4" thick plies (2 are the thickness of a 2x4). Since you can put the first ply up, then the second, it's far easier to man-handle in place.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The following is not a joke; it is a suggestion.

1. Make sure your homeowners insurance covers collapse.
2. Have the engineer inspect the details of the attachments and the erection process.
3. Carefully measure the elevations before you remove the support and jack the beam into place to take the load.

If you put the new beam into place without picking up the load, the beam will sag when the temporary support is removed and the load goes onto the beam.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
Unless the joists run parallel to the garage doors, which would be unusual, the overhang is normally just an extension of the ceiling joists crossing over the doors' headers.

This is my problem. I'm sure they had a wonderful reason for running the ceiling joists this way :rolleyes:

I've put this project on hold and decided to finish the basement....again (I'm in Martinsville, IN , recently wiped off the map due to floods :( )

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
If the joists are parallel to the door (mine are, too), then the doorwall probably isn't much of a load-bearing wall. I'd still get professional help, but your problem is simplified somewhat. Can you post a picture of the front of the garage?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
really?

Laminated Veneer Lumber is stronger, and comes in 1-3/4" thick plies (2 are the thickness of a 2x4).

either they are 3/4" thick which would make two of them equal to 1 1/2" which is the thickness of a 2x4, or two of them are 3" which is not as wide as a 2x4 but twice as thick as one.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Laminated Veneer Lumber is stronger, and comes in 1-3/4" thick plies (2 are the thickness of a 2x4).

either they are 3/4" thick which would make two of them equal to 1 1/2" which is the thickness of a 2x4, or two of them are 3" which is not as wide as a 2x4 but twice as thick as one.

Here' a link to the catalog: http://www.bc.com/wood/ewp/simpleFraming/versaLam.html

The Eastern products guide shows them in 1.5, 1.73, 3.5, and 7" widths. I've been specifying them for several years and the local yards only stock 1.75" widths (2 x 1.75 = 3.5"), since the manufacturer allows up to 4 plies to be bolted together.

B2CHR

Reaction score
Maybe Southrenman should have said two of them are them same "width" as a 2x4. 1 3/4 X 2 + 3 1/2.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
They actually have a hybrid version of glulam and lvl now. I'll try and find a pic. It's a glulam beam with the top and bottom layer being lvl. Supposed to be wicked strong. I used a glulam when I took out the wall between our kitchen and living room but will be looking into the new ones when I do the garage. I'll get a pic posted of the garage. I just noticed today that they only used a 1" x for the garage roof ridge :confused:

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
They actually have a hybrid version of glulam and lvl now. I'll try and find a pic. It's a glulam beam with the top and bottom layer being lvl. Supposed to be wicked strong. I used a glulam when I took out the wall between our kitchen and living room but will be looking into the new ones when I do the garage. I'll get a pic posted of the garage. I just noticed today that they only used a 1" x for the garage roof ridge :confused:
I was wondering when they would start to do that. The top and bottom have routinely been a higher grade or even machine rated plies so it makes sense to use LVLs. The veneers in LVLs are free of all defects so can be visually rated to a much higher stress. But unless there is a substantial cost savings I'd go with LVLs since the individual loose plies can be put up one after the other so less weight is being lifted at any one time.

A lot of times the ridge board is not a structural member but just a convenient place to nail the rafters, so the 1†doesn’t surprise me.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
on my garage the trusses run parallel with the 18 foot wide door, this means that the laminated beam over the door is only supporting a 4 foot strip of roof.

The two foot overhang has beams that sit on top of the end piece and tie into the last rafter.

I know I had to pay more to get it built like this, but I know it wont sag over time and the 2 foot overhangs are nice to have.

FYI: my only regret is not spending extra to have a taller garage door.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
My design notes include a taller garage door, and a drive-through garage. This is thwarted in some locales where they require that garages don't face the street, unfortunately, but does allow easy access to the back yard, which in my case would include a boat ramp.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks